A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Friday, July 30, 2010

Is "Mainline" a Dirty Word?


In my review of Scott Kisker's book, "Mainline or Methodist," I shared this observation:

For Scott, the label "mainline" as in mainline denominations like United Methodists, Presbyterians, and Lutherans, means that we have chosen an established path rather than a revolutionary path of living out our faith. For sure, mainline denominations have too often gone down that lazy status-quo path. However, for me, the label of mainline correctly identifies denominations such as the United Methodist Church as Christian communities that are willing to bring together a variety of points of views (left vs. right, democrat vs. republican, Michigan vs. Ohio State, etc.) and through scripture, reason, experience, and tradition, we can listen and help each other to discern God's voice.

The reason I see "mainline" in a positive way is because of something I saw on CNN today regarding a non-mainline pastor who is calling for all Christians to burn a Koran, Muslim's sacred book on September 11. This pastor claims that the Muslim religion is of the devil and should be stopped. OK, I do believe that the Christian faith is a particular faith that believes that Jesus Christ is the particular means by which we receive forgiveness of sins and eternal life, but that doesn't mean that I need to go out and burn books of a different religion in order to show that my religion is the only way. And to have this be done on September 11 when we remember those who died in the terrorist bombings which included Muslims, is appalling to say the least.
.
And please read this disclaimer: Not all mainline Christians are tolerant and not all non-mainline Christians are judgemental. However, one of the strengths of mainline Christianity is that it tends to embrace diversity while retaining the historic Christian faith.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the point that Scott Kisker in his book, "Mainline or Methodist" is making. Sometimes we too often use the word, "mainline" to refer to a pro-establishment description of what it means to be a Christian which is not what we find in the Gospels! But what I do like about this term is that it seeks to keep the church from moving into a judgemental, disrespectul, and triumphalist direction that does not honor God and would have us not love our neighbors as ourselves as Jesus taught us to do.

The pastor who wants to burn books on September 11 reminded me what I like the word, "mainline."

No comments: