A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My Conversation with a Church Member


While at the gym, a long-time church member began to chat with me as I stood on the treadmill.  He had questions about our upcoming season of Lent "Unbinding Your Heart" small group focus. Our church's goal is for 400 people in our church to participate in a six-week small group focus beginning the week of February 19.

"I've been reading the "Unbinding Your Heart" small group book and I agree with what it says that mainline churches need to focus a lot more on prayer and sharing our faith and we just don't do it.  I know that this is what our church needs but for some reason, I'm reluctant to sign up for a group."

"I wasn't going to sign up for a small group but then you mentioned it again at our men's prayer breakfast and I'm thinking about it again.  Maybe I should sign-up.  My grandson tells me that most of the people in his church are involved in a small group and it's really a high priority for them.  Maybe I need to get on board."

"When you told me about the elderly widower in our church who recently experienced God's presence in a real way, I thought to myself that this is what I want more of in my life - to experience God's presence throughout the week.  I know that a small group will help me to experience more of God in my life."

"How do you sign-up again?  You can go on our church's website and find out when all of the small groups are meeting?  It tells you the names of the small group facilitators?"

I nodded yes.  He smiled back.  I could tell that he was going to sign-up for a small group as soon as he would get  home from the gym.

He had convinced himself.  All I needed to do was listen and offer reassurance.  During our conversation, God was slowly unbinding his heart.  May God unbind my heart today.
.

No comments: