A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Thursday, September 13, 2012

Dave's Deep Thoughts - An Early Surprise Birthday Party



Here's Pastor Dave McDowell's weekly devotional that he sends out to members of his church. Dave is my brother and serves as the Music Minister at Stewartstown UMC in PA.

 
I've heard that sometimes
the inmates are running the asylum,
but what if they run it better then the out mates?
 
Three and a half months ago, when my brother and sister were in town,
they wished to go visit our aunt in her care facility,
as she was celebrating her 91st birthday.
 
I mentioned to them that a dear member of our home congregation
also lived in that facility.
While speaking about her,
I mentioned that this dear lady, Elsie,
was going to turn one hundred years old.
 
And so off they went.
On their way, they stopped and picked up candies,
cards, and balloons.
 
When they arrived at the facility,
my brother noticed Elsie in the social activity room
along with many other residents.
 
Now this facility sponsors many activities
for its residents.....
bingo, show and tell, crafts to name a few.
 
If there is one rule in the asylum,
is that unless you can upstage bingo..
don't mess with the social activities hour
 
Undaunted, into the room they marched.
 
Happy 100th birthday Elsie! they cheered
as the balloons swayed from side to side.
 
Now Elsie is still as sharp as a tack,
and although her hearing has failed her in her later years,
she has learned to read lips quite well.
 
Silence.
 
My brother and sister looked up
to the stares of the 80 and 90 year olds in the room.
 
Elsie was staring too.
 
My brother assumed that Elsie was having trouble remembering him.
Elsie, it's Robert. I grew up in church with you.
We just wanted to wish you a happy 100th birthday.
 
More stares.
Tough crowd, particularly in the month of June.
Memo to self......
don't mess with a senior citizen who is
waiting for B5 to be called.
It can get ugly real fast.
 
Robert tried to hand Elsie her balloon
but instead she said....
It isn't my birthday.
My birthday isn't till September!
 
It seemed that everyone in the room
was aware of this fact except for my brother and sister.
The heads of all the octogenarians and nonagenarians nodded in agreement.
 
Now 100 years is something to celebrate.
 
Ninety-nine years, nine months and twenty two days ???
not so much.
 
Now my brother is used to speaking in front of large groups of people,
but this time silence was speaking the loudest.
 
Well, here's your balloon,
my brother offered as a peacemaking gesture.
 
If there was such a thing as a care facility bouncer,
this would have been the time for him to step in.
 
Finally, the social activities director
wishing to get back to the business of bingo,
and wishing to help my siblings save face,
stepped in as the voice of reason.
 
Why don't you drop it off in her room?
It's just across the hallway.
 
My brother and sister slithered out of the room
the inappropriate balloon trailing them,
and the stares of the multitude ushering them out.
 
After depositing the misinformed balloon in Elsie's room,
my siblings went to my aunt's room
to give her her birthday balloon and card.
They told my aunt about the mishap.
 
It's not Elsie's birthday.
That's in September,
my 91 year old aunt reminded them,
as if they needed to hear it one more time.
 
Apparently only those over the age of 80
had gotten the memo.
 
After visiting my aunt,
my brother and sister headed down the staircase to the exit.
But instead of choosing the exit door,
they walked into a resident's private room.
 
My guess is that after my siblings assault on the care facility,
posters of the two of them were placed on the bulletin boards
asking residents to call security if they were ever seen on the property again.
 
Sometimes we just get things confused.
A comment about someone who was going to be turning 100,
turns into an immediate birthday celebration.
 
A door to the outside world
is really a door to a private space.
 
Our culture often depicts those living out the last years of life
as useless, confused, and burdensome.
 
But the Scriptures see it quite differently.
Those who have lived many years
are people with wisdom,
with stories and insights to share with the next generations.
 
None of us know the number of years that we shall live on this earth.
What we do know is that we are to value each day and year
so that we use them wisely.
This is how the Lord speaks it.....
 
So teach us to number our days,
that we may present to Thee a heart of wisdom.
Psalm 90:2
 
My siblings can be confused,
particularly when I offer them a vague comment.
But we all can be confused, whether we are nine or ninety nine.
 
But give me a person who lives each day
as a day closer to giving account of their life to God,
now that's a wise person.
 
Elsie will celebrate her upcoming 100th birthday this Sunday with family and friends.
I am sure that my brother and sister will forget to come.
 
Happy Birthday Elsie!

No comments: