[The famous magic wand used at each of the five Get Acquainted sessions in answering the question, "What miracle does God want to do through our church?]
A big thank you to the people who hosted the five Get-Acquainted gatherings these past few months. The purpose of these gatherings was to help me as the new pastor learn about what you like most about First UMC and where you believe God is leading us in the future.
These are the comments that I heard the most frequently.
What you like most about your church? (Most Heard Comments)
- Service Opportunities
- Prayer Ministry
- History of reaching out to the university community
- Music Ministry
- Sunday School Program
- Willingness to try new things
What miracle do you want to see happen through our church? (Most Heard Comments)
- A strong college student ministry
- Continued emphasis on prayer
- Building enhancements
- Increase number of people using gifts in ministry through the church
- More small groups
- Stronger finances and build up staff team
- Seeing our children's ministry grow
- Support for widows and widowers/elderly members
- Worship attendance growth
- Mission work locally
- Growth for Monday Lunch & Growing Tree Pre-School
- Revitalization of previous ministries like the puppets
For the question regarding what miracle God wants to do through our church, I had everyone hold a magic wand when they answered the question. It was a fun way of allowing ourselves to use our imagination in thinking about what God wants to do through us. Some people liked the magic wand so much that they didn't want to give it to the next person!
Thank you for your responses and for thinking and praying with me about our future together here at First UMC. We are off to a great start!
Grace and Peace,
Disclaimer: That was not a "real" magic wand. It was purchased in the toy section at Walmart.
[One of five Get Acquainted gatherings. I look really tall in this picture!]