A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Monday, September 16, 2019

Sunday Pastoral Prayer (Sept. 15) Athens First UMC





[Our Chancel Choir sang two beautiful anthems on Sunday. This anthem, “If We Just Talk of Thoughts and Prayers” included the congregation singing the final two verses. The first verse was particularly fitting for our worship theme on the importance of commitment with the words, “If we just talk of thoughts and prayers and don’t live out a faith that dares, and don’t take on the ways of death, our thoughts and prayers are fleeting breath.” For the sermon, click here.This was also the beginning of our new children and youth Sunday School program which debuted Theo the puppet during the 10:30 Children’s Moments. See a picture of Theo below.]


Lord Jesus, teach us what it means to surrender all so that we can become the people you have called us to be. 

Teach us to surrender our hearts and our wills to you. Teach us to surrender our selfish ways. Teach us to surrender anything that would keep us from following you.

We dedicate these next seven weeks to you as we renew our commitments in the areas of having a personal relationship with you, in praying, in reading and studying your Word, in worshiping, in sharing our faith, in giving of our resources, and in serving in ministry. 

Lord Jesus, teach us to surrender all so that we might ever love and trust you and in your presence daily live. 

May the words of commitment that we have just spoken a few minutes ago become a prayer to you:

Jesus you are my guiding light, my compass, my lighthouse. I ask you for that ‘peace that passes all understanding.’ I strive for my speech and behavior to please you. I strive for my attitudes, values, and thoughts to please you. I am passionate about you being the priority of my life. I strive to share my faith with others. I look forward to having a constant awareness of your presence. I strive for others to see you in my life, words, and actions. At each major decision of my life, I will ask, ‘What would you have me do?’ I invite you to be at the center of all of my relationships. I will be open to how you want to use me to bless others.

Lord Jesus, teach us to surrender all. We feel the sacred flame. I the joy of the full salvation. Glory, glory to your name, even as we join together in praying…

“Our Father, who art in heaven…”



[You will be seeing a lot of Theo, the dog during our 10:30 worship service Children’s Moments. Theo always helps to introduce the Sunday School lesson for the day.]



[Theo, the dog with our Director of Education, Kathy Mangen following his debut at the opening children and youth 10:30 Sunday School program.]

No comments: