A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Monday, August 1, 2022

Sermon (July 31) by Rev. Robert McDowell




    For the past three weeks, we have been celebrating Thanksgiving a little early this year. And the reason for this is because of our appointed New Testament readings from Colossians which emphasize the importance of being thankful.

     In this letter which only includes four chapters, there are six references about the importance of being thankful. Today we get the last three of those thanksgiving references. 

     In chapter 3, verse 15, the Apostle Paul writes, “Be thankful.” In verse 17, Paul writes, “And whatever you do in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” And then in chapter 4, verse 2, our scripture reading ends with, “Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with thanksgiving.”

     “Be thankful,” “Give thanks,” “Pray with thanksgiving.”

     The Apostle Paul wants this new community of believers in Colossae to know that being thankful is at the heart of what it means to be a growing, loving, and faithful church. We are to be thankful in July as well as in November and all of the months in between.

     In this letter, the Apostle Paul offers us WHY we are to be thankful. In chapter one, Paul is thankful in his prayers for the church in Colossae because he has heard of their faith, their hope, and their fruitful ministry. 

     Last Sunday, our focus was on chapter two of his letter where he encourages them to continue to “abound in thanksgiving” because of what Jesus has done for us by dying on the cross and rising to new life. This was Jesus’ victory parade over sin and death.

     And today as we look at the last two chapters of this letter, Paul invites us to celebrate a thanksgiving party where we are to sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs to God.

     Listen to Paul’s words from our reading: “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in your richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spirituals songs, (and here you go again) WITH THANKFULNESS in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, GIVING THANKS to God the Father through him.”

     Thanksgiving is so much more than eating mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, and pumpkin pie. It’s also about candied yams, turkey and pecan pie. Actually, and according to Colossians, it’s about praising God for all that God has done for us and continues to do for us.

     Think of our Sunday worship as our weekly Thanksgiving party where we gather together and sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. We express our thanksgiving through worship and praise.

     Rick Seiter who is our Director of Congregational Care says that Methodists really have three Sacraments instead of just two and these include Holy Communion, Baptism, and Potlucks. Maybe we should add Potlucks because it’s a way for us to celebrate God’s abundant love made known to us through Jesus Christ.

     A couple of years ago, we joined Rick’s churches in having a potluck at Chesterhill UMC. The food was unbelievable. And the pies. Wow! The pies!

     By the way, what did the pumpkin say after the Thanksgiving meal was over? “Good pie, everyone!”

     But our party wasn’t over after the meal because we concluded our time together by going to the sanctuary. We formed a circle up by their altar and we each offered the Sacrament of Holy Communion to the person standing next to us.

     And we also invited each person to share a word of praise or thanksgiving around that circle. It was such a holy moment as we shared our thanksgivings together. What a wonderful evening in sharing in a potluck meal and then offering our thanks and praise by receiving Holy Communion. 

     Another name that we use for Holy Communion is the word, “Eucharist” which is derived from a Greek word that means, “Thanksgiving.” Every time that we receive the bread and the cup, we are offering our thanks to God who has won the victory for us through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.  

      So, even after we conclude this sermon series on “Thanksgiving in July,” we will continue to to be God’s thanksgiving people whenever we share in Holy Communion together. We don’t just celebrate Thanksgiving in November, we celebrate it every time we receive the bread and the cup. And every time that we gather for worship, we are thanking God through our hymns and our songs of praise. 

     What a great combination! Hymns of thanksgiving and potlucks! As they say, “whenever Methodists meet, they eat!”

     The Apostle Paul tells us to be thankful and to abound in thanksgiving. Over the past couple of months, I have been asking people in our church to let me know what makes you feel so thankful and I’d like to share some of the responses I have received with you today. 

     If Paul’s letter to the Colossians is telling us that thanksgiving is at the heart of what it means to be a vital and growing church, then this list might take a while for me to share.

Sharing of Thanksgivings

       I asked some of our members to share what they are thankful for about their faith and being part of our church family.  Here are some of their responses. I’ll pause after each person’s response so you know that I’ll be reading the next person’s thanksgiving. I have a lot of these to share so sit back and enjoy as we get this Thanksgiving party started. Here we go:

     “I’m thankful for the friends we have and that my daughter enjoys coming to church and learning. Everyone is so nice!”

     “I’m thankful for my friends I have lunch with after church every Sunday and for our church’s music.”

     “I am grateful for the members of the church who will pray for me when I need it. I am grateful for the hope I have because of my faith.”

    “I’m literally grateful for my life.  I'm not sure how or if I would have survived all that I've been through without my faith, belief in God and my church family. I am so so grateful for our prayer ministry and those individuals who will faithfully pray for me and my family and friends over and over again. My small groups. I've been in two and they were both great groups.  It's a nice way to connect with others, get to know people better, have members pray for you and teach you.  I've learned about other's beliefs and have grown in my own faith as a result.”

     Here are some responses from our newer members:

     “One of the best things about family is the feeling that you fit, simply as you are. You can relax with them. It's easy and authentic. I feel that with my church family at First UMC and am thankful.”

     “I am most thankful for the welcoming and accepting atmosphere and doctrine. So many people, including my younger self feel like the church and/or God doesn’t accept them. They are taught at a young age that certain characteristics or behaviors are an abomination and it’s devastating. I miss a lot of things (and people) from my original church, but feel like a fraud and a liar when I go back. (I rarely do, but I wish I could). I’m so thankful that I found not one, but TWO Methodist church families who have welcomed me with open arms and also preach about love and inclusion.”

     “My thanksgiving is in the timing of when I found Athens First. My Dad and Step-mom were devout Catholics. My biological mom had me baptized in the Methodist church, but it was my grandma who took me to church every week. I was confirmed in both churches... I had drifted away from institutionalized religion over the past fifteen years as I became disillusioned with rigid theological interpretations that more often than not excluded individuals. I joined an Athens First zoom bible study during the pandemic on living an inclusive faith and later decided to join the church. I felt and still feel a deep readiness to explore my faith in a community that offers the space to love inclusively and mercifully.”

     “I am thankful for how my faith brings me closer to God and gives me strength. I am thankful to our Church family for the fellowship I and my girls share.”

     I asked some of our Leadership Board to share what they are thankful for and here are some of their thoughts:

     “I am so very thankful that God hears our prayers. And I am also thankful and grateful for all of the prayer opportunities in our church. I am thankful that we have a pastor who connects with our congregation in so many ways, and genuinely care about us. I am thankful for a church family who is so supportive and caring and doesn't whisper about one another. I am thankful for a God who loves each one of us unconditionally. I am thankful for the joy I feel when I walk into the sanctuary on a Sunday and see my church family.”

     “I have experienced the power of prayer, and am thankful for a congregation and prayer ministry group that prays regularly and fervently. I am thankful for a church family that reaches out to others in their time of need- both within the family & outreach to the community.”

     “When I went through a very challenging season in my life, my faith and the support of my church family was the one constant that never changed. In a season, where everything was changing and stressful and uncertain (relationships, friendships. finances, etc), I knew I could count on God's love to be steadfast for both me and my children. When I worried about things, I genuinely believe God put church members in my path, who would say exactly the words to me that my heart needed to hear. When faced with life circumstances where you have so little control over the outcome, I learned to trust God more than I ever had before. It enhanced my faith and taught me to breathe and let go, because God has got it. The sermons each week had elements that brought me comfort and seemed tailored to my life in ways that seemed so much more than coincidental. I do not think I would have weathered this season of life had it not been for God's love and the unchanging and non-judgmental support of our church family. I am endlessly thankful.”

     I asked our children and youth to share their thanksgivings. Here are some of their thanksgivings:

     “I am thankful there can be peace in a world of chaos.”

     “I am thankful for all of the people at my church, how welcoming and supportive they are.”

     “I am thankful knowing that I’m not alone.”

     “I am thankful to go to such a loving, caring, and supportive church and also thankful for the members who help others know how much they are loved.”

     “I am thankful for Jesus, everybody in my church, and being able to help people.”

     “I am thankful that we can learn about awesome things in Sunday School and that my mom gets to teach us.”

     I asked some of our staff and here is what they shared:

     “It just feels like a soft place to land.  Meaning, I look forward to coming to work each day and I look forward to seeing what God has planned for this church and it's ministries.  I feel like I am a part of something unique and am happy that I can help facilitate making those ministries happen in my position.  I am thankful to be a part of this church and thankful for being a child of God.”

     “My journey would not had taken me to where it is today if it weren't for God and Athens First. You all supported me as your Youth Director, WSC Interim Director, now as a Pastor of three Churches and being on Staff here for 8 years, currently as your Director of Congregational Care.  Thank you all.”

     “I am thankful for Open inclusivity, Showing Love by example, Friendly faces, Selfless giving, Community focus, Compassionate hearts”

     The Korean congregation who worship here on Sunday afternoons sent me this thanksgiving that they would like to share with us today:

     During Covid 19 pandemic, our beloved pastor Lee passed away in January 2021. Thank God for his faithfulness in service to Athens Korean church over the 30 years, and I asked God to help us continue to learn from his example (as well as his teaching and preaching).  Like the stages of grief, we go through the brokenness of life and fears, tears, and sorrows, but with FUMC members and other prayers to pray for us, and when we express our feelings to God in faith, he renews our commitment and trust in God. As a result of Covid and losing our beloved pastor, we desperately seek what only God can provide to us. In Psalm 13:5-6, the psalmist says, "But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me" (Psalm 13:5-6)."

     Wow! All of these thanksgivings! I think this is one of my favorite things that I have ever done in asking our church family how you are thankful for your faith and our church family. I know that we’re going to enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving meal together in a little bit, but hearing about all of these thanksgivings is really what makes today a Thanksgiving Party. We are celebrating the many thanksgivings that make up our church family. I want to be part of a church that abounds in thanksgiving!

     One of the things I always do when I arrive at a new church is to read about the history of how they got started. Sometimes, you just get dates and names, but sometimes, you get fun stories like this one.

      In one of the churches I served, the church was founded in the 1800s and early in the church’s history is the story of one of the members who attended church one Sunday morning. On that Sunday in worship, this man felt so happy and thankful for God’s love and being part of a loving church family that at the end of that service, he stood up and invited the entire congregation to come to his house for lunch that day.

     As the story goes, his wife would have appreciated being notified first!

     I love that fun story that this church included in their church’s history. It’s a story of a thankful church where people love to celebrate their many thanksgivings and blessings.

     In the church, every Sunday is a Thanksgiving Party where as the Apostle Paul says, we abound in thanksgiving.   
  
     Happy Thanksgiving!  

Thanksgiving in July Party

Sermon Discussion Questions
Colossians 3:1-17; 4:1
July 31, 2022

Today is the conclusion of our 3-part sermon series on “Thanksgiving in July” based on the Apostle Paul’s letter to the Colossians. Thanksgiving is a theme of this letter since a variation of the word appears six times in this one letter. For the first Sunday, we focused on Paul’s prayer of thanksgiving for the Colossians Church. Last Sunday, our focus was on Paul’s mention of a thanksgiving parade that celebrates Jesus’ victory over sin and death through his life, death, and resurrection. 

How has this worship series on being thankful helped you to be more thankful for God’s blessings in your life?

Our focus today is on a Thanksgiving Party. The Apostle Paul writes in Colossians, chapter 3 to sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with thankful in your hearts toward God. In our scripture reading, Paul makes reference to being thankful three times! Paul wants us to be so filled with thanksgiving that whenever we gather, it’s like a big party!  One of the words that is used for the Sacrament of Holy Communion is “Eucharist” which is derived from a Greek words that means thanksgiving. 

In what ways is our weekly worship like one great big thanksgiving party? 

During Sunday’s worship, several members from our congregation including our Korean congregation shared their thanksgivings for their faith and the church. We could have shared a lot more if we had more time! It was a wonderful time in celebrate our many thanksgiving with each other.

Share some of your thanksgivings that you have about your faith and what the church means to you.

One of the thanksgivings that was offered numerous times by people was in how they are thankful for a church that is open and inclusive of all people. 

In what ways can we continue to strive to be an open and inclusive church that welcomes all?

Conclude your time by offering this prayer that was shared during our Sunday worship service:

God of goodness and love, help us to be just as thankful in July as we are during harvest time in November. You have given us everything we need to be your people; compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, patience, and love. Forgive us for whenever we neglect to sing your praises and to be the people you call us to be. Remind us in the middle of the summer to celebrate your goodness and be your thankful people! Amen and Amen!


No comments: