A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Sunday, November 1, 2009

Buckeyes in the Pulpit

This morning, BEFORE the big Ohio State/Penn State game this upcoming Saturday, I find four buckeye nuts on the pulpit. Ah! The pre-game festivities begin!

Every year in the church I serve, there is an acute tension between the Nittany Lion pastor (me) and my Buckeye congregations. A few years ago when Ohio State won, I was a good sport and wore a church member's OSU alum varsity jacket during worship. I walked down the sanctuary aisle wearing that jacket and as is my usual routine, paused at the altar for a brief prayer. It was during that silent prayer that I heard several people snickering in the congregation as they began to notice what I was wearing.

Last year, a gracious associate pastor who is an OSU alum, wore my Penn State hat for five seconds during worship since Penn State took care of OSU the day before.

The picture above includes two members of my previous church who had a little OSU/PSU pre-game fun before the big game.

This year is an even bigger dilemma as this Sunday is Stewardship Sunday, the day we invite people to make financial commitments to support the work and ministry of the church for the coming year. Do I want my beloved Nittany Lions to win or do I want the congregation to be in a good mood for a successful stewardship Sunday? It's a no win situation.

Go Penn State!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I gotta say go Nittany Lions on this one.