A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Dave's Deep Thoughts



Here's Pastor Dave McDowell's weekly devotional that he sends out to members of his church. Dave is my brother and serves as the Music Minister at Stewartstown UMC in PA.
.
It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words.
In my case, I would say it is probably worth that many anxious thoughts.

It's not that I don't like photographers.
I just don't like what they ask me to do.

I don't do well in front of the camera...

When the photographer says the word cheeze,
I hear the word freeze.

My face muscles begin tightening up
into contortions that can be described as anything but pleasant.

Family photos,
pictures at weddings,
reunion portfolios,

I run from them like a deer on opening day of hunting season.

Paparazzi in search of uncomplimentary front page photos for tabloids
would have a field day with me.

But there are some photos from which I cannot run.

Every four years,
I receive the letter that I dread.
That would be from the state Department of Transportation.....
time for a new photo drivers license.

Some people don't like that letter
because it means that have to be confronted
with the hard evidence of
how they've aged in four years.

I don't like it because I am confronted
with the evidence that in four years,
I still haven't learned how to pose naturally for a photo.

And so I went to the local DOT licensing branch,
intentionally choosing a time when I thought
that would be few people there to witness my discomfort.

I made the correct decision,
only one person there ahead of me.

That was, until a good friend from church
came in moments after me.
Busted.

I now had a witness to my humiliation.
The attendant took my current license and said,
this will be quick.
Little did she know what she was in for.

Now smile and say cheese.....
SNAP!!!

I think we can do better than that
she said in response to my frozen smile.
I knew I was in trouble.

My friend was loving this.

Let's try again,
the attendant said.
Now just relax.

For me,
now just relax
is a phrase reserved for
dentists with drills,
medical lab technicians with needles,
and doctors just before they yank on dislocated bones.

I was ready to do anything but relax.
That's when I saw the fly on the ceiling.
SNAP!!!
Let's be sure to look at the camera this time,
the attendant said with a tone in her voice that indicated
she would have had an easier time photographing a kindergartner.

Good one,
my friend called out.

I began to feel beads of perspiration
on my forehead.
I was beginning to feel the pressure.

Now I am used to pressure filled moments....
Sightread a piano score for a rehearsal,
no problem.

Get up and offer a prayer on the spot,
piece of cake.

Multi task a schedule of work, building a house, & family,
got the T-shirt on that one.

Take a photo with a natural expression of happiness on my face?
I'm toast.

Just think about something you enjoy,
the attendant suggested.

So I started to think,
and ponder...

SNAP!!!
Apparently,
my thoughtful pose
isn't very complimentary either.

My friend was howling.
This was going nowhere fast.

Let's try one more,
she said.
There was a hint of desperation.
How about your best Christmas present ever....

SNAP!!!
I'm not sure,
but I don't think your best Christmas present ever
should make you look like you are constipated.

In baseball,
you are given three strikes.
I was already 0 for 4.

I'm not sure
why I have so much trouble posing for a photo...
Perhaps, I try too hard.
Maybe I over think the box.

Whatever the reason,
I had 4 photos to choose from,
and they were all disasters.

I envisioned police officers, cashiers,
and bank tellers for the next four years,
bursting out in laughter
the moment I gave them my license.

SNAP!!!

The attendant out of desperation,
took a shot without warning.

Sometimes, we just try too hard.....
Too hard to impress others,
Too hard to make everything go just right at events we host,
Too hard to appear that we have our acts together.
Too hard at being the humans we think we are to be.

And the result often is a snapshot that isn't accurate of who we are.
Jesus saw through people who tried too hard.

Nicodemus couldn't understand what it meant to be born again,
until he realized it wasn't about obeying religious rules.

Zaccheus didn't understand how to be a giving, compassionate human
until he stopped working and relaxed at table with Jesus.

The woman at the well had been looking to quench her spiritual thirst all her life,
and only found Christ once she stopped looking for temporary fixes at neighborhood wells.

Sometimes we try too hard,
and in the wrong ways.
And the results often are not pleasing nor fulfilling.

I don't need a photograph of who I think God wants me to be.
It wouldn't be very complimentary anyway.

What I need is to relax in His amazing love for me,
to live out the life that He intends for me,
and to share that unique life with others.

                                                The result will be a photograph of my life



that is pleasing in His sight and in my photo album.

The next time they tell me to say cheese,
I will say Jesus instead.
That brings a real smile to my face every time.

I will be glad and exalt in Thee!
Psalm 9:2
.

No comments: