A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Non-Creative Thanksgiving Sermon Titles


Over the years, I have had my share of non-creative sermon titles. I take ownership for my share of lackadaisical thinking in this vital area of the prophetic witness. In particular, Thanksgiving sermons have been known to be breeding grounds for ho-hum sermon titles.


"So here is my top ten list of the most boring and obvious Thanksgiving sermon titles."

I think it's because we preachers are so focused on preparing Sunday sermons, that our creative juices hover around empty as we limp toward the Thanksgiving holiday. So here is my top ten list of the most boring and obvious Thanksgiving titles.

#10 - "A Spirit of Thanksgiving"
#9 - "Thankful"
#8 - "Being a Thankful People"
#7 - "Thanksgiving Is More than a Holiday"
#6 - "Becoming More Grateful"
#5 - "Are You Thankful?"
#4 - "The Importance of Being Thankful"
#3 - "Reasons to Be Thankful"
#2 - "Thanks Living"

And the #1 all time most non-creative Thanksgiving sermon title of all time is...

"An Attitude of Gratitude"

Attention all Preachers: As you prepare sermons for Christmas Eve this year, you are not allowed to use the title, "Born Unto Us." I've heard that about 1.3 million preachers have already claimed it.

No comments: