Welcome & Announcements - Pastor Robert
- Thanks Andy Thomas for his Gathering Music & makes a joke that he's a Michigan fan.
- Makes a joke about how we don't cancel church as long as the coffee and donut volunteers can make it here.
- Welcomes any worship guests and tells them we have a gift for them at the information desk in the parlor.
- Invites everyone to Ash Wednesday services this Wednesday, Noon & 7:30 pm here at church & 6:30 pm at our Crossroads facility.
- Pick up your free Lent devotional booklet in the parlor. The daily readings begin this Wednesday.
- Beginning on Wednesday, we are offering a photo a day challenge for the season of Lent through our church Facebook page. You can also pick up a list of the pictures in the parlor if you're not on Facebook.
- Parents wanting their JH and SH youth to attend a youth summer mission trip, need to pick up their mission packet in the parlor.
- Our next "Core Course" for our Love-Grow-Serve vision will be Christianity 101 and will begin Sunday, March 15 here at 10:15 am in Spirit Hall located on the 2nd floor.
- Greet someone you didn't come to church with today (Again, Robert shares some bad joke about how cold it is.)
Call to Worship
L: Behold the Lord, transfigured before us on the mountaintop.
P: But we are afraid.
L: Behold the Lord, standing before us with robes of dazzling white.
P: Such power is too great for us.
L: Behold the Lord, speaking with Moses and Elijah, the greatest prophets in history.
P: We long to hear and understand.
L: Behold the voice of God, proclaiming to us: “This is my Beloved. Listen to him.”
P: We have come to listen and believe.
Lord Jesus, on this Transfiguration Sunday, we reflect on your shining robe that offers us a glimpse of your eternal glory. We invite your glory to shine in our lives. As we follow you from a mountaintop to an empty tomb, draw us closer to you and with each other. Thank you for inviting us to take this journey with you. In your name, we pray. Amen.
New Testament Lesson Colossians 3:12-17
Sermon (Click here for the sermon.)
*Gospel Lesson (Please stand as you are able) Mark 9:2-9
L: This is the Word of God for the people of God.
P: Thanks be to God!
Different Robes of Jesus: Shining Robe
Pastor Robert McDowell
Colossians 3:12-17 & Mark 9:2-9
February 15, 2015
Different Robes of Jesus Lenten Series:
February 15 – “Shining Robe”
February 22 – “Healing Robe”
March 1 – “Servant’s Robe”
March 8 – “Seamless Robe”
March 15 – “Spreading Robes”
March 22 – “Burial Robe”
March 29 – Palm Sunday Cantata “Come, Touch the Robe”
April 5 (Easter Sunday) – “Rolled Up Robe”
Six days later Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and brought them to the top of a very high mountain where they were alone. He was transfigured in front of them, and his clothes were amazingly bright, brighter than if they had been bleached white. – Mark 9:2-3
What Did You Wear to Church Today?
As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. Above all, clothe yourselves with love which binds everything together in perfect harmony. – Colossians 3:12-14
- On this Transfiguration Sunday, picture yourself with the disciples as they saw Jesus’ robe shining. How do you think this event changed their lives? How can this picture of Jesus shape our view of who he is?
- What clothes do you wear? List the clothing that the Apostle Paul encourages us to wear on a daily basis from Colossians 3:12-14.