A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Music & Faith

Beginning this Sunday and over the course of the next four weeks, I will begin a new sermon series called, "In Concert with God." For each of these Sundays, I will focus on a particular type of music and find connections with that type of music and the Christian faith.

The idea behind this sermon series is to tap into something that almost everyone enjoys; music, and relate it to how we can be more faithful followers of Jesus Christ.

As I prepare for this series, in the back of my mind is one of my New Testament professors in seminary who would play a particular type of music on the piano to convey the particular scripture that he had just covered in his teaching. In a similar way, I want to explore ways in which different types of music can bring out the meaning of various themes and scripture passages throughout the bible.

This is a sermon series that can be a little "touchy" because we tend to be passionate about our favorite styles of music. My hope is that even if we cover a style of music that we don't appreciate personally, that we will still be able to find connections between all types of music and our multi-faceted faith journey.

For this first Sunday of the series, we focus on classical music. I am spending as much time as possible listening to this type of music in preparation for the sermon and finding connections with my own faith journey as well as the composers who wrote the music.

What are some of your favorite classical pieces and what are the connections you can make in your faith journey as you seek to be in concert with God?




No comments: