A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Thursday, July 14, 2011

Stop & Smell ... I mean, Stop & Watch the World Cup



Yesterday, I was making hospital visits in two Columbus hospitals.  As I was walking through the cafeteria of the one hospital to head to the lobby and leave, I noticed a gathering of people close to the flat screen tv.  They were watching USA vs. France in the World Cup. 

Now, I have a personality that doesn't usually make room for detours during my day.  When I have a schedule in my mind, I try to stick to it.  I'm a "point 'A' to "point 'B'" kind of guy.

But I couldn't help myself this time.  It was like this force drew me to an empty seat near the tv which is so out of character for me.  There was about fifteen minutes left in the match (game?)  See how much I know about soccer?  Sunday's game (match?) with Brazil (Brasil?) was so exciting that I now felt like I was a member of the USA team, maybe even the 2nd string goalie, especially with my good looks. :)

So anyway, I find a chair and am glued to the passes, the corner kicks, and the "reverse the field plays" (that's a phrase Penny taught me.)  During a slow part of the match (game?) I look around me and there are surgeons, nurses, custodians, and civilians like me all gathered around the tv cheering on USA.  There was not one France fan in that whole cafeteria.  I swear.

The score was tied 1 to 1 when I started watching and when USA made a goal to go ahead, without even thinking, and again, going against my reserved personality in public settings, I yelled out, "Yeah!"  It didn't really matter because everyone else was a hoop'n and a haller'n too.  And it didn't matter that I only got a "C" for my dissect a frog grade in high school.  In that moment, I was one with world renown doctors.  We were Americans and that was OUR team.

People glanced at me and I at them as we all smiled and showed our solidarity.  Many would also glance at their watches, knowing that the late lunch break was turning into a mini vacation.

When the final bell (whistle?) was rung (blown?) and it was official that USA beat France, I began my walk to the parking garage, thankful that it was one of those moments in life when it's good to stop and smell the roses from time to time.  It felt good to be an American and I couldn't help but to think that this is how church is meant to feel every time we gather.  We gather from near and far and from many different backgrounds to worship and praise God together.  And together we celebrate the victory of Jesus Christ over sin and death.

I can't wait to go to church this Sunday...and in the afternoon watch USA play Japan in the final!

.

No comments: