A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Friday, July 22, 2011

What Are Your Favorite Summer Shoes?

I'm facing a dilemma.  My velcro strap sandals which I have worn for the past 5 to 7 summers needed to be replaced.  I don't think I want to wear sneakers (or "tennis shoes" if you prefer) since I like my feet being able to breathe when it's 98 degrees.  But at least they're comfortable for walking.  Flip flops aren't really my style either since I don't like the flip flop sound they make.

What to do?

We often use the phrase, "our walk with Christ" to speak of our Christian faith.  As I contemplate what my next pair of summer shoes will be, it's also good for me to think about what kind of spiritual shoes/sandals will best help me in my "walk with Christ."

In other words, am I prepared for those times in my journey when it's a long walk with Christ and I need something a little more rugged?  And what about those times when Jesus wants me to get out of my comfort zone and walk on the water, like Peter?  Do I have a pair of beach shoes?  Sometimes, Jesus calls me to offer his good news at a funeral service.  Are my dress shoes available for the task?

A former District Superintendent who is a friend of mine once told me about a time that he met with a pastor who he was about to introduce to the congregation.  The two of them agreed to meet at the District Superintendent's office before going to the church so they could go over some information about this new church.

My friend was surprised when this pastor showed up in sneakers (tennis shoes.)  Thinking that he was going to change shoes before the meeting with the church, the pastor responded, "Nah.  This is what I like to wear.  A suit and tie with tennis shoes."

That didn't go over too well with the people of his new church.  If I remember correctly, this pastor lasted one or two years at his new appointment.  If only he would have thought about what shoes he needs for which part of his "walk with Christ."

Back to my summer sandal/shoe dilemma - Today, I bought a pair of sandal-like shoes with one velcro strap.  I can tell that my feet are going to really hurt if I try to wear them on long walks.

I miss my old sandals!
.

No comments: