A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dave's Deep Thoughts


Here's Pastor Dave McDowell's weekly devotional that he sends out to members of his church. Dave is my brother and serves as the Music Minister at Stewartstown UMC in PA.

I am not afraid of heights,
nor am I afraid of insects....

But put the two together,
and it's a different story

This past summer, I needed to bring down a banner
that had being hanging over a local street.

It seemed like a relatively simple task,
just one that required the right tools and time.

My biggest concern wasn't the heighth I would have to climb,
nor was it that the ladder had to be placed in the mushy side of a hill for footing.

It was the electrical connectors that were located
at the same heighth where the banner was hanging.

They looked rather menacing,
and seemed to have enough voltage to light up
a small country.

No, I don't fear heighths.
But electrocution at 20 feet is another story.

I began my climb,
tools in hand...

As I approached 2,343,000 watts
I realized I didn't have any free hands
to navigate around the cables of current.

There is something to be said for creativity.
A screw driver placed under the chin,
a hammer conveniently tucked under the arm....

A strange thing happens to you
when you are up on a ladder
in a small town where everyone knows everyone....

as they drive by, people wave at you.

Now I consider myself a friendly person,
but the good Lord only gave me two hands
so I opted for a steady grip onto ladder and life
rather than a gesture of hospitality.

I was beginning to untie the extensive knot sytem of the first rope
which was inches away from the electric cable of death,
when this enormous bug decide to pay me a visit.
I had never seen anything quite like it,
except perhaps from the flying monkey scene in the Wizard of Oz.
It had a wingspan large enough to command a small aircraft
and furry arms that would make King Kong proud.

I am sure that entomologists might disagree with me on this,
but the dude had teeth,
or at least something with the capability
of having me for lunch.

It must have read my mind,
for the hairy little beast decided
that landing on my neck
was a nice little respite.

My worst fear now moved from electrocution
to having all the blood sucked out of my body.

With no free hands,
I decided that my next best option
was to cough,
hoping the force of the expulsion would scare
this African Killer Bee onto some other poor soul who was walking by 20 feet below.

The beast would have nothing of it.

After three more waves by well meaning passer byers,
(who had no clue that this little vampire was about to suck the life out of me)
I decided that my only chance for survival
was the screwdriver.

I thought about stabbing the beast who was encroached onto my neck,
but common sense prevailed.
I was ready to gently nudge it with my screwdriver,
when this massive insect from the dark side,
decided to venture into the neckline of my shirt.

Suddenly electrocution didn't seem like such a bad option.

Which leads me to Thanksgiving......

I am thankful that the beast wasn't particularly hungry
when he paid me a visit.

I am thankful that I wasn't electrocuted that day.

I am thankful that I got the banner down.

I am also thankful,
that each and everyday
the Lord carrys me through each and every circumstance of my life,
no matter how strange or unexpected they may be.

I am thankful for strength and physical health
to be able to climb ladders.

I am thankful for having the mental resources
to make decisions,
particularly when 20 feet above ground.

Most of all I am thankful
that He is faithful in ALL things

As I sit down to table this Thanksgiving,
I will remember all these things and more,
as I take time to give thanks.

May you do the same.

Have a wonderful experience of thanks giving.

Just do it a ground level,
and be sure to bring insect repellent.

"Let us come before His presence
with Thanksgiving." -
Psalm 95:2
.

No comments: