A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Friday, November 5, 2010

The Six C's of the Bible


I've heard this comment or others like it many times in my years of pastoral ministry. "I'm learning more than the kids!" It's usually spoken by Sunday School teachers, youth confirmation mentors, and children's bible study leaders.

This past week, I poked my head into a classrooom filled with children learning about the Bible and one of the adult helpers said something close to this. "These classes are helping me to know more about my bible."

They say that the best way to learn is by becoming a teacher. Hopefully, the bible resources that we use are ones that provide a solid biblical foundation. Recent studies reveal that atheists know more about the Bible than most Christians.

I forget where I found this summary of the Bible, but it's a very helpful way to keep scripture passages in context. Context is a vital part of any bible study, sermon, or personal devotional time.

I call it the six C's.
  • Creation - God created the world and called it good.
  • Corrumption - We sinned and God's creation became corrupted but not unredeemable.
  • Covenant - God makes a covenant with Abraham and with God's people that through them creation will be redeemed.
  • Christ - Jesus was able to do what we were unable to do by fulfilling God's covenant through his life, death, and resurrection.
  • Church - Through the power of the Holy Spirit, the church lives out the good news of Jesus' resurrection, making disciples of Jesus for the transformation of the world.
  • Consummation - Jesus will reappear and heaven and earth will become one and God's people will received resurrected bodies.
When we read a passage of the bible, it's always important to be mindful of where we are on the six c's map. Do you find the six "c's" helpful?

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful 6c and very helpfull and blessed