A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Friday, April 10, 2009

U2's New Song "Moment of Surrender" & the Passion of Christ

One of the best songs on U2's new album is "Moment of Surrender." It has a reference to Good Friday when it talks about the stations of the cross. Even on a crowded subway, the thought of Jesus' suffering and death for the sins of the world can become an epiphany and a "moment of surrender."

"I was punching in the numbers at the ATM machine. I could see in the reflection, a face staring back at me. At the moment of surrender. Of vision over visibility. I did not notice the passers-by. And they did not notice me.

I was speeding on the subway through the stations of the cross. Every eye looking every other way. Counting down ’til the pain would stop. At the moment of surrender. Of vision of over visibility. I did not notice the passers-by. And they did not notice me."

No comments: