A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Monday, December 28, 2009

Pastors & Weekly Schedules


What do pastors do with their time? That's a great question! I don't always do a great job of keeping track of my work time during a given week. Thanks to a recent article from "The Christian Post," here's how I spend my time assuming I'm an "average Senior Pastor."
  • Works more than 55 hours/week (42% of us work more than 60 hours.)
  • Most of our time is spent in preparing sermons/worship services.
  • More than 70% of us spend up to 5 hrs. a week in meetings.
  • Half of us spend 2 - 5 hours each week in visitations.
  • More than half of us are praying 1 - 6 hrs. a week and the same percentage of us are setting aside 2 - 5 hrs. in personal devotions a week that are not directly related to sermon preparation.

Here's my basic schedule for an average week: (The picture is where I work on my sermons.)

  • Mondays - Sermon/Worship Service Preparation (All Day)
  • Tuesdays - Staff Meetings, Hospital Visits, (Sometimes Evening Meeting)
  • Wednesdays - Worship Planning, Bible Study Planning, Hospital Visits, Teach Bible Study, Lead Worship Service
  • Thursdays - Office/Maintenance Staff Meetings, Church/Community Visitations, (Sometimes Evening Meeting,) & Teach Bible Study
  • Friday Mornings - Final Editing of Sunday Sermon
  • Saturday Mornings - Varies Depending on Church Schedule & Review Sermon Several Times
  • Sundays - 3 Worship Services
  • Everyday- 30 Minute Early Morning Personal Scripture/Prayer Time

Like any pastor, things change quickly due to funerals, counseling needs, weddings, and pastoral care emergencies. At least one of these ministry areas factors into a given week.

What's my favorite part of ministry? I deeply value my Monday sermon/worship planning time. If you ever notice me in a good mood on a Tuesday morning, it's probably because things went well on Monday! If I'm in a bad mood, then...

Well, let's just say, I appreciate your prayers especially on Mondays!



1 comment:

$teve said...

I always wondered how you spent your time? As if I didn't already know being a PK. I noticed that there was not much time, if any, for your own personal relaxation and daily exercise. You need to take time for yourself and look after your health. We don't want you working so much that you forget about yourself.