A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Thursday, January 21, 2010

January 21 - A Thankful Day

Today would have been my parents' 60th wedding anniversary. Every January 21st, I'm particularly thankful that God blessed me with two wonderful parents.

After mom and dad arrived home from their honeymoon in 1950, they had to decide on which church to begin attending as husband and wife. My mom was Presbyterian and my dad was Methodist.

My mom, thinking that dad would stick with my mom's church (after all, that's where they were married) surprised her by saying, "Well of course, we'll be going to my church from now on." (See picture.) And so they did. And the two of them raised four little Methodists, I being the last of the litter.

Maybe this is why I'm one of the few people who don't mind meetings (a Methodist speciality!) and I have a fondness for home cooked casseroles. But even beyond my ingrained Methodist quirkiness, I'm most thankful that mom and dad raised me in a church that helped me to grow in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Happy anniversary, mom and dad! January 21 - A thankful day.

In loving memory of Norman George McDowell; November 7, 1928 to June 1, 1989


No comments: