A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Monday, March 15, 2010

Hoot! Hoot! Let's Go Temple Owls!


Every year for the NCAA Tournament, my heart is with Temple to go all the way. This is where Penny and I met back in 1983. By the way, Temple had a great team that year and beat a great Chris Mullins led St. John's team early in the tournament. Dr. J visited my dorm that year to take our star shooting guard out to dinner.

Over the years, Temple has been known for their defense, low turnover ratio, patient offense, and 5 A.M. practices. Unfortunately, they are also known to not quite get over the hump in being able to advance too far in the tournament, even during years when they have had really good teams.
.
This year, Temple is in the East region with a #5 seed playing #12 seed Cornell. A lot of the experts are saying that this is the 2nd most difficult region with the Midwest being 1st. For Temple to advance far, they will have to beat a good Wisconsin team and an awesome Kentucky team.

I have great memories from Temple University. Penny and I met there and I was able to participate in three campus ministry groups - Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, Campus Crusade for Christ (I really think they should substitute the word "Crusade" with something else!) and Tenth Presbyterian college ministry. Tenth Presbyterian is an historic church in downtown Philadelphia that Penny and I attended while at Temple. That was the year that I responded to God's calling to become a pastor thanks to Penny, my home church, the campus ministries, and friends at Temple.

Let's go Temple!


No comments: