A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Tribute to Rev. Sam Halverson & Family


After fourteen years of ministry at Lancaster First UMC, Rev. Sam Halverson's final sermon before leaving for his new appointment in Georgia is tomorrow, June 20th. I've only known Sam for a little over a year, but have come to appreciate his ministry with our youth as well as other ministries within our church and community. Sam has also been a great help in my transition to FUMC last summer. This poem is for you, Sam.


The Day Sam Halverson Caught Me As I Was Fainting
By Robert Vincent McDowell
June 17, 2010

My last image. My last image before I fainted before my sermon in front of mothers and confirmands was that beautiful face we have all come to love. You know, that face radiating the compassion of Christ. Radiating the joy of the one from above.

He caught me. He caught me as my face turned from yellow to green, not doubting, not trembling, he gently helped me to the floor. Doctors and nurses, they all wanted to help. But Sam pushed them aside and shouted, “I’m the mayor; let’s get him to the door.”

Sam the mayor. Sam the mayor because he plays some game on his blackberry curve, making him mayor of Krogers, Starbucks, and shop after shop. “I’m now the mayor of such and such,” I would often hear him say. Speaking on behalf of all Samville, Ohio, there’s no one else. He’s at the top.

Jelly maker extraordinaire. Jelly maker extraordinaire who is known for those little jars of sugar and home made grapes all mixed together that taste oh so good on a piece of toast. He slipped that little glass jar of heaven into my church box on Christmas Eve. No fanfare. No bragging. It was better than Welch’s, and he didn’t even boast.

Mission trip leader. Mission trip leader to lands afar and sometimes staying right here. Think “Sam I Am,” nothing to do with his name, I’m told. But now’s the time to think beyond. To Hickory Flat and Georgia he shall go. Strumming his guitar, drinking espresso, shaving his head, eating his chocolates, preaching Jesus, tending his new fold.

He caught me as I was fainting. He caught me as I was fainting in front of mothers and confirmands. And I’m sure he’s caught you a time or two. He’s caught youth who sought counsel and struggled with doubts. He’s caught many of us as he delivered the Word. He’s caught many a couple before they said, “I do.”

Sam, before you leave us after these fourteen years, know of our love and prayers as you head to the south. And this last little message is for Kathy, Jesse, Megan, and Max too. Always remember, if you should feel faintish, to turn to the One, your Savior and Lord. He will always catch you. He will always catch you. He will always catch you. He loves you.

No comments: