A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Post Church Wide Fast Reflections


My church recently participated in a church wide fast in conjunction with our annual business meeting in which we prepare for our coming year of ministry. Below are some of my reflections on yesterday's day of fasting:
  • Let me cut to the chase - Fasting isn't my favorite thing to do! I like to eat! Around noon when I get particularly hungry, the smell of the lunch meal we serve at the church was really getting to me. And then the church staff got this announcement over our intercom system: "We have extra food down here if you want a hot lunch." Ouch!
  • I'm not as disciplined in my faith as I would like to be. About a month ago, I began to fast for my Friday lunches. While that may be a noble new commitment, I notice that my Friday dinner intake has increased! So I wonder, "Am I really getting the most out of this spiritual discipline?"
  • Since our church has been preparing for a fast day, I have noticed more and more fasting references in the bible. It's funny how that is often the case.
  • When I had some blood work done last week, the nurse asked me if I had fasted. She then said, "I hate fasting." I'm not alone, I guess.
  • In a book I recently read about the spiritual discipline of fasting I was surprised to learn the following: 1) fasting isn't really about us receiving a blessing. It's simply a way for our body/spirit to respond to a crisis/significant spiritual situation that is happening. I'm so accustomed to the modern view of "what's in it for me?" 2) fasting is not a health benefit. Our bodies are meant to take in healthy food on a consistent basis. Again, the question isn't "how is this going to help me?"
  • At the end of our church wide fasting/prayer service yesterday, we broke our fast by receiving the Sacrament of Holy Communion, something that the early Christians did when they would conclude a time of fasting. Receiving the Sacrament was seen as the beginning of a time of joy and celebration after having gone through a time of no food. I told the congregation that it's important for us to go from our service to offer God's healing love and the good news of our faith to all of those around us. There's a time for fasting but there is also a time to celebrate.

I am curious to hear from others on how the spiritual discipline of fasting has been a part of your faith journey.

.

No comments: