A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bowl Games, Sauerkraut, & John Wesley's Covenant Prayer


This is the time when our attention is turned toward New Year's festivities and hope for a year filled with peace, joy and good health.

The early 18th century Methodists under the leadership of John Wesley, often participated in a covenant renewal service as a way of dedicating themselves to Jesus Christ for the new year. Wesley would also use this service when visiting his Methodist Societies throughout the year.

One of the prayers from that service is known as "A Covenant Prayer in the Wesleyan Tradition" which my church will be using this Sunday in worship since this will be the first Sunday of the new year. I know of a pastor who prays this prayer every day as a way of offering himself to God for the new day. This might be a good practice for many of us as well.

Earlier this week, my wife asked me, "You are going to use the Wesleyan Covenant Prayer this upcoming Sunday aren't you?"

You know you're a United Methodist when you would ask such a specific question as this!

Happy New Year!

A Covenant Prayer in the Wesleyan Tradition:

I am no longer my own, but thine. Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt. Put me to doing, put me to suffering. Let me be employed by thee or laid aside for thee, exalted for thee or brought low by thee. Let me be full, let me be empty. Let me have all things, let me have nothing. I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal. And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, thou art mine, and I am thine. So be it. And the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Robert, and yes, I'll be praying it with you! :) Bear

$teve said...

It's been years since I have heard "A Covenant Prayer in the Wesleyan Tradition". It's time that we get back to the days of John Wesley and the principles of the founding Fathers of the Methodist Church (now known as the United Methodist Church). You are the first Pastor that has used this prayer since I left home and was no longer attending a United Methodist Church where my Father was the minister. I am excited that you will be using this prayer in Sunday's service.

Anonymous said...

My Methodist church in Danville Virginia will be praying it this Sunday.