A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Friday, May 27, 2011

A Brayden Tackett Story



On this day last week, I joined two other pastors in officiating for the funeral of seven year old, Brayden Tackett.  Brayden and I first met on Thursday, January 20.  That was the day I baptized him at his home.  I'll never forget that day when this young boy who  knew that his days were numbered stared intently at the lit baptism candle and his baptism cross.  I was representing First United Methodist Church as I said those powerful words of our identity in Jesus Christ, "Brayden, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

As meaningful as that day was, there was another day I spent with Brayden that I will never forget.  I was about ready to leave from my visit with him and Brayden said something really nice about me.  I responded, "Brayden, why are you so nice?"

Without missing a beat, the quick thinking 2nd grader said, "God made me this way.  And he made you that way, too."

As I prepare to celebrate a baptism this Sunday, I will remember those words from Brayden, "God made you that way, too."  We were made in God's image to love God and to love others.

Remember your baptism and be thankful.
.

No comments: