A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

When the Heat Is On - Biblical References



With temperatures in the mid 90s, high humidity, and a daily heat advisory, I became curious as to how many references there are in the bible regarding words related to temperatures.

Here are some of the highlights of my findings:

"Cool" - 4 References
Favorite: Luke 16:24 - "He called out, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am in agony in these flames.'"

"Hot" - 41 References
Favorite: Revelation 3:15 - "I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot.  I wish that you were either cold or hot."

"Cold" - 23 References
Favorite: Jeremiah 18:14 - "Does the snow of Lebanon leave the crags of Sirion? Do the mountain waters run dry, the cold flowing streams?"

"Heat" - 50 References
Favorite: Genesis 31:40 - "It was like this with me: by day the heat consumed me, and the cold by night, and my sleep fled from my eyes."

"Scorching" - 13 References
Favorite: James 1:11 - "For the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the field; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes.  It is the same way with the rich; in the midst of a busy life, they will wither away."

"Sweat" - 6 References
Favorite: "They shall have linen turbans on their heads, and linen undergarments on their loins; they shall not bind themselves with anything that causes sweat."
.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Did youyou find any reference to how great A/C repairmen are this time of year? Lol