A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Thursday, September 8, 2011

Spiritual Retreats & Renewal



This week is my annual sermon planning retreat.  I'm at an Episcopalian retreat center here in Ohio.  It's my first time here.  In past years, I have held the retreat at my family's cottage in Central PA and at a friend's summer home located on a lake.

There is something about setting aside time in a different location that helps us to be open to God's preferred future.  As a friend of mine and I were leaving the chapel from our morning worship today, he noticed these beautiful spider webs along the sidewalk.  The rain and the morning light turned this into a really nice picture.  It was a sign for us of God's presence in the mystery of creation.

I recognize that this is a gift of grace to be given this opportunity to pray, reflect, worship, plan, and enjoy God's creation this week.  Thanks be to God!
.

No comments: