A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dave's Deep Thoughts - The Cubicles of Life

 
Here's Pastor Dave McDowell's weekly devotional that he sends out to members of his church. Dave is my brother and serves as the Music Minister at Stewartstown UMC in PA.
 
You should always pick door #3.
Or maybe it is door # 1,
No, it must be door #2......
wait......
 
The travel agency of which I am a member
is well prepared to help its members.
 
A row of 3 cubicles,
each with an eager staff member
ready to assist you.
 
Though you can't see the people
in the cubicle next to you,
you can surely hear them.
 
I took cubicle #2.
The new year can be a time to plan for many things....
vacations,
trips to tropical places
and......
car insurance.
 
Nothing says "I wish I was doing something else" than
a 34 degree rainy day
while sorting through different insurance plans.
 
Meanwhile next to me in cubicle #1,
a couple had just sat down.
"We want to plan our first family Disney vacation!"
they shrieked with excitement.
 
On the other side of me in cubicle #3,
an equally cheery couple squealed...
"We are so looking forward
to getting away for some beach time!
 

"So we are here to look at car insurance options?"
my host in cubicle #2 said with a cheery smile.
 

Here's how life in cubicles 1, 2, & 3 went that day........
 
#2 Let's talk about deductibles........
 
#3 The cruise ship has 37 restaurants,
including choosing from 18 buffets,
64 cuisines, and 7 smorgasbords.
 
#1 You are going to love the Polynesian
Family Resort. The mangoes are out of this world.....
 
#2 I see that you had a traffic citation 2 years ago.
That will influence pricing.
 
#1 You will love having lunch with Snow White,
Prince Charming, and all the Disney characters!
 
#3 Swimming with the dolphins is such a great option
for you to pick!
 
#2 Let's talk uninsured motorist coverage,
specifically bodily injury.
 
#1 The parade and fireworks show
are such a great way to end your day!
 
#2 It's important to consider combined
personal bodily injury and property damage.
 
#3 I recommend the 24 hour room service.
There's nothing like having your breakfast
served to you on your own personal deck overlooking the ocean.
 
#1 Nothing says excitement like the Action & Adventure Park.
The zip line is amazing!
 
#2 You should be sure to include a work loss benefit.
You never know........
 
#3 If you are into fitness workouts,
we have Tai Chi, Yoga, and Pilates!
You will so enjoy the Full Serenity Spa
and Thermal Suite afterwards.
 
#1 Tee times? All you have to do is say when!
 
#2 You can't leave here without thinking about
the funeral expense benefit.
 
#1 lf you want excitement,
then Spiderman is the man for you.
 
#3 I recommend
the Brazilian Steakhouse.
The food will melt in your mouth.....
 
#2 Big decision time...... limited or full tort options?
 
#3 The tarts in the cabana house are amazing.
 
#1 Scuba in the pool, para-sailing, rock climbing??
Yep, we have all that!
 
#2 Good news! I see that you are a mature driver.
You receive a discount!
 
#3 Karaoke night is so much fun!
 
#1 The couple has now broken out into song.....
"It's a Small World"
 
#2 I'm sorry, this policy does not provide
for extraordinary medical expense coverage.
 
Some days feel like a cubicle #2 day,
trying to keep up with the everyday demands of life,
and also the unexpected bumps in the road....
 
Once in a while we might be favored with
days at cubicles 1 or 3,
when everything feels just right.
 
It is easy to be envious of the people
in cubicles 1 and 3.
But they have had their days in cubicle 2 as well.
 
The apostle Paul
gives instruction about finding peace and joy in life.
It isn't dictated by circumstances,
but on the One with whom you walk this life.
 
This from a man who lived at the  highest levels
of prestige and power,
and who later was shipwrecked and also imprisoned.
 
This is what he says.....
 
"I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
I know how to get along with humble means,
and I also know how to live in prosperity;
In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret
of being filled, and going hungry,
both of having abundance and suffering need.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:11-13
 
Whether your team won or lost,
whether the surgery goes as planned or not,
whether it is sunny and 80 or rainy and 36,
He is there to strengthen.
 
Whether you got the job or not,
whether the tree fell on your property or your neighbors,
whether you were accepted to the university or community college,
He is there to carry you.
 
As for me,
I left cubicle #2 having saved myself $178 annually
and although I may not be squeezing sand in my toes in the near future,
I know that I can do what I need to do,
because I choose to live THROUGH HIM.
 
Whether you are having a deck party,
or painting the deck,
May it be so with you.

No comments: