A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Monday, March 18, 2013

Can Baptism Be This Fun?


Yesterday, I baptized four people during our worship services. One of them was a little boy named, Logan (see picture above.)

As you can see from the picture, Logan took great delight in his baptism. As soon as I placed my hand in the water, he wanted to play in the water, too! So for about a minute, Logan and I had some fun playing in the waters of his baptism. 

He didn't want to stop. He kept dipping his hand into the water basin and making little splashes. I must admit that I didn't want to stop our play time either.  But we did. And when I sprinkled the first amount of water on his head, he thought that was pretty cool. He also enjoyed the second time and the third time.

After the third sprinkle of water, I kissed his forehead and said a little prayer, "Dear God, may Logan always remember his baptism and how much you love him."

Logan's joy in being baptized reminds us of the joy we can have in our journey with Christ.  Sometimes, we take our faith so seriously that we forget to play a little.  We don't need a whole lot to experience joy, just a baptism font with some water in it and a child-like faith.

Thank you, Logan for reminding us that baptism can be fun. And thank you, God for your gift of water which reminds us to have a playful faith that is filled with joy.

No comments: