A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Monday, July 1, 2013

Summer Sermon Series (July 21 to September 1) - Vanity License Plate Sightings



Summer is a time that many of us are traveling long distances on the highways. During those long trips, you might notice vanity license plates on the back of cars. Some of these can be very interesting!  The reason that people pay extra for these car plates is because they want to send some kind of message to other travelers on the road.

Beginning Sunday, July 21 through Labor Day Weekend, I will be preaching a series of sermons based on teachings of Jesus from the Gospel of Luke called, “License Plate Sightings.” I will focus on a vanity license plate message based on the Gospel reading for each Sunday. During these weeks of summer, let me know if you see any interesting vanity license plates. I might share your vanity license plate sighting during one of my sermons.

A while back, I got in my car along a city street and I noticed an interesting vanity license plate on the back of the car which was parked in front of me. The plate had the message, “IN3DAZ” As I started to drive away, I noticed a man getting out of this car. I slowed down, put my window down, and said, “I read your license plate. Are you a Christian?” With a great big smile on his face, he nodded his head, and yelled back to me, “My life changed because of those 3 days!”

No comments: