A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Monday, October 7, 2013

The Worship After the Worship Service


As I was picking up my worship folder and hymnal following our last worship service this past Sunday, I noticed an impromptu mini-worship service taking place in the front pew section of the sanctuary.  Usually when the benediction is given, people scamper out to the parking lot, or grab a donut and some coffee in the parlor, or have polite conversation before heading home.

Not this group of youth and adults. They were forming a circle and offering prayers for one of our youth who will be moving to another state this week. As I watched this take place, I was reminded that worship isn't meant to end following the benediction. The benediction really marks the beginning of a new week where we continue to offer our support and encouragement for each other in the name of Christ. As I walked out of the sanctuary, a smile came to my face as I thought about that sacred moment for our young people.

Later that afternoon, I led a worship service at one of our local nursing homes for the residents, many of whom come in their wheelchairs. Only about half of the people were there because the Baptists had traveled to a special church event that day. I always miss the Baptists when they're not there because they know their bibles and they like to sing out!

Even though we were small in number, worship was really special that afternoon. One of my church members has been making a miraculous recovery from a massive stroke. When I visited her a few days before this service, she was able to drink coffee for the first time since her stroke several months ago. She has come a long way!

I brought communion elements with me to this Sunday afternoon service since it was World Communion Sunday. Together, we celebrated the Sacrament as part of our service.  Following the service, the church member who is recovering from a stroke said to me, Thank you for sharing Holy Communion. It meant so much to receive it with my two daughters this afternoon. It was a priceless moment as the daughters smiled back at their mom.

I left that nursing home, praising God for the gift of worship, not just for the two services I led earlier that day in my church, but also for the impromptu worship of our youth as well as the afternoon service at the nursing home.

This past week, our church focused on the importance of weekly communal worship as part of our "Committed to Christ" seven week church-wide focus. Yesterday, I was reminded why it's so vitally important.

No comments: