A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Another "Church on the Hill" Story


During last Sunday's sermon, I shared how someone referred to our church as "that church on the hill." Immediately after he said this, he continued, "Like Jesus said, you're a city set on a hill."

His comment gave me a wonderful image for our church. We are a church set on a hill for a purpose. God placed us in this particular spot to shine the light of Jesus in our community.

I was reminded of this last night when I attended a community meeting. As I was leaving, a woman ran after me shouting, "Robert, Robert!" 


"You are life-savers!"

She said, "I wanted to thank your church for making it possible for my mother to buy medication for her illness. We are both on disability and don't make any money and your church helped us. You are life savers!"

Evidently, our church was able to help her mother through our monthly Local Relief Fund which we receive on the first Sunday of each month. After she shared her gratitude for what our church did for her mother, I gave her a hug, told her that we were glad to help and that we are here to share God's love to as many people as possible.

Her words to me that our church was a "life-saver" were the words I thought about as I drifted off to sleep last night. "You are life savers. You are life savers. You are life savers. You are life savers. You are life..."

Our church is literally saving lives spiritually, emotionally, and physically because we are "the church on the hill." Like Jesus said, "we're a city set on a hill."

Sleep well tonight, Lancaster First UMC. Sleep well.



No comments: