A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Friday, July 29, 2016

"And a Verse for We" - A Poem by Robert Vincent McDowell

"And a Verse for We”
[A Poem in celebration of my 1st Year Anniversary at Athens First UMC]
By Robert Vincent McDowell
July 26, 2016
 Of The Year of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ


I have a verse for we
On our first anniversary.

It is not hard to see
That I have so much glee.

You see, I am so very happy
Because of this church family.

You even like Cabernet,
Oops, I meant to say Cabaret.

We worship here every Sunday,
And serve here every First Saturday.

The music here is a solid A,
Thanks to a man named Dr. J.

It’s far-out to serve by a university,
And I would even say that it’s groovy.

Remember the water bottle give away?
People loved it on that very hot day.

Students who are on their way,
See our cross and stop to pray.

The children are cute at Growing Tree
I read them stories about my Westie.

Poster Rabbit is what they call me,
I’ve been called a lot worse, trust me.

I don't give up my quarters easily,
But they can’t compare to my Penny.

Can't wait for year two, what more can there be?
New elevator, atrium, and sanctuary.

More is in store for you and for me,
That’s why I offer this verse for we...

On this our first anniversary.

No comments: