A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Monday, January 15, 2018

Pastoral Prayer (Jan. 14) Athens First UMC

                                                               

[This is a photo taken yesterday after our combined 10:30 worship service. We chose to cancel the 9 am service due to the below zero temperature early in the morning. Hopefully, the weather will warm up and this snow will melt in time for next Sunday’s services. We are blessed to have a maintenance staff person who was able to shovel and salt our church sidewalks on Saturday afternoon. The conclusion of the pastoral prayer below reminds us to follow in the footsteps of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. who responded to God’s calling to help make this world a better place. Click here for the sermon.]

O God, was that my name I just heard? Maybe I just imagined it. After all, wasn’t that just in bible times that you spoke in that way to people? I can see you doing that for someone like Samuel, but not for someone like me.

But what if you really are calling my name? Just like you called Samuel? Just like you called the disciples? Just like you called Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.? What if you really are calling my name? My name?

Do you really know my name? Do you know that I go by Robert and not Bob? Do you know that I get nervous in new situations? Do you know that I often second guess myself? Do you know that I sometimes struggle with doubt and I often feel like I have more questions than answers? Do you know that I often use humor to hide my insecurities? And you want me to follow you? Me of all people?

What was that? Come again? So you really do know my name. And you really do know my insecurities. And you really do know that I don’t have this faith thing all figured out. And you still want me to follow you?

You’re saying that none of that really matters because your grace is more than able to overcome any of my weaknesses. What was that? Are you serious? You have gifted me with every spiritual gift and you will be my strength in every situation. And what’s that? My biggest fears are nothing compared to your biggest plans for what you want to do in and through me.

OK, God. I get it. I’ll come out from under the covers. I’ll step out in faith even though I don’t have a clue how you are going to use me.

But I’m going to need help in trusting you. You know I’m not good at that. Help me to trust that you can use me to make this a better world. A world that is free of inequality. A world that is free of injustice. A world that is free of brokenness. A world that is filled with your mercy, justice, and peace.

Here we are Lord. Your servants are listening even as we pray the words you taught us to pray together, “Our Father, who art in heaven.”

No comments: