A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Sunday, October 13, 2019

Sermon (Oct. 13) by Dr. Dave Bayless




Unfortunately, we have all probably experienced times when people who claim to be Christian, but who do not act very Christ-like when they are out in public.

A waitress at a Cracker Barrel said that her least favorite day to work was Sunday because of the “church people” who came in.  She found that they could be demanding, critical of her service and did not  leave very good tips.  She knew that they were church people because they often were carrying their Bibles and were talking about church activities.  As a believer in Christ herself, she was embarrassed! 

A common theme in the New Testament is that we are to be Jesus' witnesses in the world. For better or for worse, we are the models of what it means to live as a follower of Jesus.  How do we gracefully share our faith in Christ?

Perhaps you have been confronted about your faith by a well-meaning believer.  Someone has witnessed in such a way that you feel that you are doomed unless you believe as they do.  I don't like those encounters. I don't want to be judged or manipulated.  We want to be witnesses who encourage others to know God, and to explore the wonders of God's love.

How can we prepare to be a witness?   We don't have to memorize a script, or even give out leaflets. It is helpful if we are just aware of God's presence, and aware of people. Think about how God has been real to you! What you share from your experience and faith is valuable and needed by others. No canned speeches are necessary.

In the prior weeks, we have talked about being faith builders through praying, reading, and worshiping. Making a commitment in each of these practices are foundational to our having a strong faith. Today, we focus on the faith building discipline of sharing.

Every day we encounter other people. How do we share our faith with them?    

A woman told that years ago she was struggling in her life. She   had just finished working  her second job when she ran into a convenience store to pick up some items.  She was physically tired and worn down by her circumstances.  As she was leaving the store an older man walked past her, opened the door and held it for her.  She was so encouraged by this simple act  that made her feel that she had some worth!  It is still a sweet memory for her years later.   Our witness can indeed be a simple gesture of kindness.

It is a valid witness to smile at the cashier, to tell someone that they have done a good job, to hold the door open for someone else.

It was near Christmas, Bill had gone to get the  oil changed in his car. He overheard the attendant saying that he was hungry but he didn't have quite enough money for some food. When Bill was leaving, he gave him a $5.00 bill and said “Merry Christmas.”  The guy  asked “Why would you do something like this?” Bill told him that  Christmas was all about Jesus’ love and that it is always a gift.

I think of Jesus as noticing people around him .He drew them out, engaged their minds and hearts.  As disciples, we are called be attentive to the people around us, to listen to their stories, and if we can, share our own.

We all like someone to listen to us, to ask us how we are. If someone “really” wants to hear your story, how great is that!

A woman was getting a facial at a spa.  She asked the spa employee “How are you doing?” The employee answered:  “ I shouldn't be sharing about my sad life.”  She told her that sometimes it helps to talk about your problems.  The young woman shared that she was separated, her job was not the best, and she felt the spiritual was missing in her life.  The woman did a lot of listening during that one hour appointment.  When she left, she put the tip in an envelope, and also wrote a note encouraging the woman to call out to God, to seek and she would find, because God did care for her.

As God leads us, we can be generous with our resources and our time.

You can be a witness  through your relationships with people you see often at work, at school, in the neighborhood, at the gym.

 You can  help a neighbor rake leaves and then listen as he shares about his loneliness since his wife died. 

You can offer to pray for your co-worker who is facing an illness and cannot get the words out. 

You can invite a friend for coffee and as you catch up with each other, share how God's grace touched you through the funny antics of your grandchild. 

You can invite someone to worship or another activity. You can help connect them to our family of faith and here they may discover God's love. 

Maybe offer to pick them up and then sit together in worship. They may not be interested in Sunday morning, but are intrigued by serving others through our Athens First Saturday ministry which we hold each month.  Your personal  recommendation means a great deal. You are the best publicity for our church.

A new mom named Sarah wrote about coming back to church with her husband and new baby. “We weren't drawn in by any slick brochure or fancy website.  It was community that got us to the altar... and community that has kept us coming back week after week. It was the community of young parents like us- friends we knew from preschool that kept inviting us to church again and again. It was that community of intelligent and thoughtful people who welcomed my doubts...It was the community of loving and compassionate hearts who made room at the table...”

Along the way, as you share about spiritual issues, you may be asked some hard questions such as  “With the world in such a mess, how can you have hope?”  “Why did this have to happen to me?”  “After what I have done in my life, can I ever find forgiveness?”  (That is when you say “I don’t know” and tell them to call Pastor Robert…)

Actually, that's when you ask God to give you the right words for the situation, and you share the best that you can. We are called to listen and learn from others. We don't have to have all the answers. 

Your story with all its faults can still help change someone else's story.  Know that you are just a part of all the ways that God is working in their lives.

Logan Waldie was one of several people who attended our church-wide Faith Builders training event this past August. Part of that training time that we had together was to get in touch with our personal journeys of faith so that we will be more likely to share our faith with others. He/she is now going to briefly share his/her faith journey with us to show how simple this can be…



Thank you, Logan for sharing your faith story with us.

You have your own story of faith to share.  You have people to notice, and  to share about the important things in life. Jesus has invited us to let others know about the hope and salvation that he offers. You can do this!  Each morning we ask the question: what opportunities might come my way where I can encourage somebody by sharing my faith with them? To help us think about this day, we have an opportunity this morning to make a commitment in sharing our faith.

Let's look at those options on the screen. I am going to read the various responses that you can choose from:
        
1.       I cannot make a commitment today.
2.       I will look for ways that God is real in my life each  
           day.
3.       I will be attentive and listen to other people and their 
            stories
4.       I will pray for other people and for opportunities to share 
          God's love.
5.       I will invite someone to come  to worship with me.
6.       I will invite someone to join me in an Athens First   
          activity: Athens First Saturday serving, a small group, a 
          concert, or other special event.
7.       In conversation with others, I will share how God's love 
          has made a difference in my life.               
8.       To love others and show God's kindness will become a 
           priority so that...

I will intentionally notice people around me (family, friends, neighbors, strangers) and listen to what they have to share. I will look at others as God's children. I will not be arrogant but attempt to be honest about  the ups and downs of my  life as a follower of Jesus. I will pray that we all will grow in our understanding and  in our faith and  love of God. I will take the responsibility of reaching out to others and inviting them to be a part of our church family. I will go out of my way to make a guest here feel at home,  Each day I will offer to God my efforts of caring for his children and then depend upon  the wonderful sufficiency of God's grace for each of us.

     Jeff will play some music for the next minute or so as we silently make our commitment to God.

     May God bless all of our commitments as we share our faith with others.


Faith Builders: Sharing
Sermon Discussion Questions
Colossians 4:5-6 & Matthew 28:19-20
October 13, 2019

We are in the middle of a seven week sermon series on the theme, “Faith Builders.” We have focused on building up our faith through praying, reading, worshiping, and for this week we focus on sharing and specifically, sharing our faith with others.

What is your initial reaction to the thought of sharing your faith with someone? Which of these responses do you most relate? 1) I can’t wait! I love sharing my faith! 2) I’m not sure about this. 3) I’d rather have a root canal. 4) I’m willing to share my faith, but would appreciate some thoughts on how to go about doing this.

Contrary to popular belief, sharing our faith isn’t about handing out religious tracks or trying to convince somebody that God is real. Sharing our faith is simply about sharing how God is at work in our everyday lives. We call these “Thin Place Moments” where we experience heaven and earth overlapping and forming a “thin place” where we can sense God’s presence. These are often not very dramatic but simple moments where God’s presence is experienced.

Have you experienced a “Thin Place Moment” recently? What was it? Share your thin place moment with someone.

The New Testament emphasizes the importance of us in being “witnesses” by sharing our faith with others. Here are some thoughts on how we might share our faith with others. Reflect on each of these possible commitments that God is inviting you to consider in sharing your faith with others.

1.       I cannot make a commitment today.
2.       I will look for ways that God is real in my life each  
           day.
3.       I will be attentive and listen to other people and their 
          stories
4.       I will pray for other people and for opportunities to share 
          God's love.
5.       I will invite someone to come  to worship with me.
6.       I will invite someone to join me in an Athens First   
          activity: Athens First Saturday serving, a small group, a 
          concert, or other special event.
7.       In conversation with others, I will share how God's love 
          has made a difference in my life.               
8.       To love others and show God's kindness will become a 
           priority so that...

I will intentionally notice people around me (family, friends, neighbors, strangers) and listen to what they have to share. I will look at others as God's children. I will not be arrogant but attempt to be honest about the ups and downs of my life as a follower of Jesus. I will pray that we all will grow in our understanding and in our faith and love of God. I will take the responsibility of reaching out to others and inviting them to be a part of our church family. I will go out of my way to make a guest here feel at home. Each day I will offer to God my efforts of caring for his children and then depend upon the wonderful sufficiency of God's grace for each of us.

Which of the commitments above appeal to you the most? Why? Which ones are more intimidating? Why? What do you find rewarding or challenging in seeking to live out the paragraph above?

No comments: