A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Sunday, April 26, 2020

Online Worship (April 26/Music Sunday) Athens First UMC

Welcome to our (April 26/Music Sunday) online worship @ Athens First UMC!
2 S. College St., Athens, OH 45701



Greeting from Dr. Peter Jarjisian, Director of Music



Opening Music Sing Me to Heaven - Daniel Gawthrop (Music) Jane Grindr (Lyrics)
Susquehanna Chorale - Linda L. Redford, Artistic Director, Founder, Conductor


In my heart’s sequestered chambers lie truths stripped of poet’s gloss.
Words alone are vain and vacant and my heart is mute.
In response to aching silence memory summons half-heard voices,
And my soul finds primal eloquence and wraps me in song.

If you would comfort me, sing me a lullaby.
If you would win my heart, sing me a love song.
If you would mourn me and sing me to God,
Sing me a requiem, sing me to heaven.

Touch in me all love and passion, pain and pleasure,
Touch in me grief and comfort, love and passion, pain and pleasure.

Sing me a lullaby, a love song, a requiem.
Love me, comfort me, bring me to God:
Sing me a love song, sing me to heaven.

Call to Worship
L: O Lord, open our lips,
P: and our mouth will proclaim your praise.
L: It is god to praise the Lord and make music to your name, O most high,
P: to proclaim your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night.
L: Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.
P: Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.

Hymn                Sing Praise to God Who Reigns Above



Welcome & Passing the Peace
[Mary Rizzardi and Kat Hammond’s dog, Penny welcomes you to our online worship service today. Mary sings in our Chancel Choir and will be offering a solo in one of our anthems today. Penny invites you to greet one another, not by rubbing noses, but by simply barking out, “Praise the Lord!”]



Prayer

L: Creator God, because you make all that draws forth our praise and the forms in which to express it,
P: we praise you.

L: Because you make artists of us all, awakening courage to look again at what is taken for granted, grace to share these insights with others, vision to reveal the future already in being,
P: we praise you.

L: Because you form your Word among us, and in your great work embrace all human experience, even death itself, inspiring our resurrection song,
P: we praise you. Yours is the glory. Amen.

Children’s Moments     Kathy Mangen



Graduate Recognition     
Presenters: Kathy Mangen, Pastor Robert, & Peter Jarjisian



Scripture Lesson - Colossians 3:12-17   
           Peter Jarjisian, Director of Music
[The Apostle Paul writes that we are to “clothe ourselves” with love. He then tells us that one of the ways we can express our gratitude to God is through offering hymns and spiritual songs to God.]



Special Music        It Is Well With My Soul
Kevin & Eryn Dael (June 23, 2019)                                    


Pastoral Prayer & The Lord’s Prayer






Special Music   Meet Me Here - Craig Hella Johnson
Mary Rizzardi, Soloist

[Peter Jarjisian’s Introduction of Song]



Church News
[The following announcement slides below are to help us stay connected as a church especially since we are unable to gather in our church building for weekly worship. Please scroll down through the announcements, and our online service will continue with another video.]














Special Music  Hymn for Our Time - John Ness Beck
Athens First UMC Chancel Choir, Ohio Brass, Jeff Daubenmire (Nov., 2018)

[Peter Jarjisian introduces this closing anthem.]



Offering Our Gifts



Thank you for your gifts!!!
“Riches and honor come from You, and You are the ruler of everything. Power and might are in Your hand, and it is in Your hand to make great and to give strength to all.”  1 Chronicles 29:12


Closing Hymn            Sing With All the Saints of Glory


Benediction



Blooper from the Graduate Recognition Presentation



Join us back here next week (May 3/Holy Communion) for our online worship!

[For previous online worship services, click here]

No comments: