A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Monday, September 14, 2009

No Line On the Horizon


Yesterday was the start up of our fall programing here at First United Methodist Church in Lancaster, Ohio. The rest and relaxation of the summer and Labor Day weekend are now behind us and new possibilities and dreams are ahead of us.

As we look ahead to what God has in store for our church, I like the image that U2's new album cover offers to help give us a glimpse of the future. It's a picture of a vast body of water and the sky above meeting together and you can't tell exactly where the two meet. No line on the horizon.

Since I wasn't scheduled to preach yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit each of the Sunday School classes both at the church and at Rising House. From pre-school and all the way up to our adult classes, it was great to meet the classes and hear a little about what each class would be studying.

From the junior highs who were learning about the biblical patriarchs to an adult class beginning a study on Philip Yancey's book, "What's So Amazing about Grace?" to 1st through 4th grade Sunday Shop which focused on the importance of making good decisions, I could sense that our church is ready to take on new dreams and possibilities.

Since I didn't preach, yesterday also gave me an opportunity to worship in the balcony at the 8:15 service. I've been wondering what the perspective is like for folks who sit in the balcony and now I know. The large stained glass window was gorgeous and the colors were so vivid.
.
As I stared at the window during the 8:15 service, I couldn't help but to think...

No line on the horizon.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is great that you were able to visit the different Sunday programs. It meant a lot to see you invest yourself that way in the day.
Thanks Robert!

Trisha