A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Saturday, October 3, 2009

Reflections from Today's Memorial Service


The memorial service at the church this morning went well. And then we proceeded to the cemetery for the graveside service.

Verses of scripture reminding us of the resurrection and of the hope we have in Christ were read to begin the service and then a prayer in which we commended those dear to us to God's never failing love. A short scripture followed and I led in a prayer commending the person's body to the Lord.

What followed was a first for me as a pastor at a graveside service. I closed the service with this benediction which is one of those tried and true benedictions which is supposed to send us off with the knowledge that God is sovereign and will continue to be with us even as we continue to grieve and mourn.

"Now to the One who is able to keep you from falling..."

It was during the word "falling" that I took a small step to help me be closer to the 30 to 40 people who were gathered around the grave. Little did I know as I was concentrating on the benediction, that I was in the process of stepping down about 4 or 5 inches into a shallow part of the ground causing my right knee to buckle. I awkwardly stumbled and thankfully caught myself from falling to the ground.

Acting like nothing had happened, even though a few snickers could be heard as they couldn't help but notice the irony of the situation, I continued in the benediction,

"...and to make you stand without blemish in the presence of God's glory with rejoicing, to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, power, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen."

Yes, indeed. The One who is able to keep us from falling, did so for me in that moment. And the good news is that when I stumble again, God will be there to steady me and help me find solid ground.

Sometimes actions speak louder than words.
.

No comments: