A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Post Fainting Humor

This past Sunday morning in the middle of worship, this preacher did something a preacher would not want to do on any Sunday but particularly not on Mothers' Day, let alone Confirmation Sunday.

The church was packed, friends from out of town were sitting with the wife, I step to the podium, and down I go. The next thing I remember is one of the confirmation leaders waking me up after I had fainted in the chancel area. The culprit? Food poisoning. Or more dramatically, as Ralphie from the movie, "A Christmas Story," says it so well with just one little word change to fit my situation, "It was...food poisoning."

Long story, short, by Tuesday, I was back to my normal self. On Wednesday morning (today) I conducted a funeral. It was pretty large, about 75 people in attendance. It's my first public appearance leading a service since the fainting incident and the first scripture I read is one I use often at funerals - Isaiah 40:28-31.

"Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power the faint, and strengthens the powerless. Even youths will faint and be weary, and the young will fall exhausted; but those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."

I couldn't help but to smile as I read that text. God really does have a sense of humor.

No comments: