A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dave's Deep Thoughts


Here's Pastor Dave McDowell's weekly devotional that he sends out to members of his church. Dave is my brother and serves as the Music Minister at Stewartstown UMC in PA.

Out of sight, out of mind.
That's my opinion of the ice vending machine.

It was one of those scorching days this summer,
with temperatures headed for the upper 90's.
Since I have been without a kitchen,
I have learned not to take things for granted,
especially the ice maker in the refrigerator.

Without that household convenience,
I have had to buy bags of ice on a regular basis.

As I approached the cashier
I made sure I was ready so I could get through quickly....
value points card.......check
bio-friendly canvas shopping bags........check
coupons....check
debit card.....check

My debit card had been faulty.
Because it was old, sometimes it swiped cleanly,
other times it didn't

This morning, I was lucky.
The card cleared and I was off and running
in record time.

As I maneuvered to my car
I was feeling good about my grocery performance.
(When you are under construction,
you find that every minute counts)

I had loaded my groceries
when it dawned on me.
I didn't get a bag of ice.

The vending machine is at the entrance to the store.
It is one of the few items that you pay for,
then pick up on your way out of the store.

In my attempt to rush through the checkout,
I never remembered to purchase ice.

Out of sight, out of mind.

I pondered a week with iceless iced tea,
soda without cubes....
The thought was too overwhelming.

Life under construction is difficult enough
without losing the simple pleasure of ice chips.

I decided to go back into the store.
Fortunately, the same cashier was free.
I explained that I had forgotten to purchase ice.

No problem.
That will be $1.89

I swiped my crusty old debit card
Nothing

Another try
Nothing

Another.....
nothing

The cashier tried the old
"swipe the card using a plastic grocery bag trick"
(I have never understood why that works)

Nothing.

By now,
a line was forming behind me.
I began to feel the pressure.

She asked if I had cash.
I didn't

Did I have another card?
Yes!

I pulled it out.
I felt the relief of the 4 people behind me
that were now willing to start a fund raiser to pay for my bag of ice.

I swiped....
nothing.

Maybe it's the computer system, I said.
That was a suggestion that seemed so silly
as every other cashier was sending their patrons
off into the world in record time.

She looked at the expiration date,
July 31

I gulped,
it was Aug 1

I probably could have found $1.89 under my car seats
but I had no way to pay for a simple bag of ice.

Because the cashier knew that my debit card had worked during my initial visit,
she took it to the service desk.
This seemed to create great displeasure
with the newly enlarged group of 8 people.

It has been proven by clinical study of sociologists
that the hard stares of a group of people
can initiate a response of perspiration
in the person who is the subject of such stares.

I now have found this to be true,

The cashier returned.
I am sorry sir,
the card doesn't work anymore..

This also initiates the response of perspiration.

As I was about to concede to a week with iceless iced tea,
the lady behind me said,
Here's $2, I'd be glad to help you

This is a moment of grace unlike no other.
You know you will likely not see this person again,
and you know if you don't receive it,
you become the likely target of assassination attempts
by the now 10 people who are waiting behind you.

Humbly I thanked the lady,
and slithered out the exit...
and yes, I did remember to pick up my bag of ice.

What I didn't remember was that ice melts,
in rapid fashion in 90 degree heat.

As I was putting the bag of ice into the car,
I was greeted by someone I knew but hadn't seen for a while.

It takes at least ten minutes to share the last two years of your life with someone.
It takes about the same amount of time
for a bag of ice in 90 degree heat to become a slushy.

I learned many lessons that day,
one of which is a slushy bag of ice when refrozen
becomes one big block of ice,
highly unsuitable for a cup of iced tea.

Out of sight,
out of mind.

Perhaps that is why
receiving Christ is difficult for so many.
It is hard to place your life into the hands of one that you do not see.
All the more reason, for those who do know Him,
to be living examples of Him.

We live with many people who will "checkout"
and walk into the next life without the One thing that they need to most.

Lord,
help me to be a visual reminder
for those who live...

Out of sight,
out of hope.

Let your light shine before men,
in a such a way that they may see
your good works
and glorify Your Father
who is in heaven.
Matthew 5:16
.

No comments: