A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Monday, October 25, 2010

Why "Commitment" is Important in the Christian Faith"

Being a Christian isn't easy. Being a faithful member of a church isn't easy. Being a preacher isn't easy. While there are many, many joys along our Christian walk and faith journey, there are also many setbacks, disappointments, and difficult decisions to make. Being a member of a church is a lot like marriage because any relationship will have its share of challenges along the way.

This is why every person who desires to become a member of a United Methodist Church makes a commitment in front of the new church family to participate by their "prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness." We make this pledge upon joining the church, because these are the areas that will most likely be tested at different points during our church membership.

During yesterday's fall new member class, we watched a video segment which included entries from John Wesley's journal. As you read these entries, it's no wonder why commitment is a key component for a Christian who desires to be a faithful member of a church. John Wesley shared his face of setbacks within the church he was seeking to reform.

John Wesley's Journal Entries

Sunday, May 7th: I preached at St. Lawrence’s in the morning, and afterward at St. Katherine Cree’s Church. I was enabled to speak strong words at both; and was therefore the less surprised at being informed that I was not to preach any more in either of those churches.

Sunday, May 14th: I preached in the morning at St. Ann’s, Aldersgate; and in the afternoon at the Savoy Chapel, free salvation by faith in the blood of Christ. I was quickly apprised that at St. Ann’s, likewise, I am to preach no more.

Friday, May 19th: I preached at St. John’s, Wapping at three and at St. Bennett’s, Paul’s Wharf, in the evening. At these churches, likewise, I am to preach no more.

Friday, November 3rd: I preached at St. Antholin’s; Sunday, 5, in the morning, at St. Botolph’s, Bishopsgate; in the afternoon, at Islington; and in the evening, to such a congregation as I never saw before, at St. Clement’s, in the Strand. As this was the first time of my preaching here, I suppose it is to be the last.
.

No comments: