A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Sunday, June 26, 2011

Poem in Honor of Virginia Rosberg's Retirement - June 26, 2011



Virginia
By Robert Vincent McDowell

Virginia.  Such a pretty name, but hard to rhyme.
What about Rosberg?  Maybe, but I’m run’n out of time.
How about a name change, like Mary, Pam, or Sally?
Nah.  You’ll find the word.  But just don’t diddle dally.

This is after all about the woman we all know and love.
Her notes always point us to the one who is above.
You can have your trumpet, your drums, and your kazoo.
But the way she plays that organ will make you a fan, too.

She likes her tea and her peanut butter sandwiches.
She proofreads the bulletin making sure of no glitches.
I’m not sure what we’re going to do come July 1.
It won’t be the same.  I’m going to miss her a ton.

Twenty-five years can go by really fast.
I’ve known her for just two and it’s been such a blast.
Wait, I think I have it.  This rhymes with Virginia.
But it makes no sense, ‘cus she’s not a Ninja.

Now that I think about it. This rhymes with Virginia.
Both of us were born in York.  That’s York, Pennsylvania.
But it doesn’t convey my heart for my dear friend, Virginia.
So I’ll end with this rhyme.  Virginia, we all love ya!
.

No comments: