A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Taste of Summer & a Sign of God's Grace - Strawberries


As I was traveling from Columbus to Lancaster  yesterday afternoon, I drove past a strawberry stand along the road.  This was one of those moments when my taste buds were saying, "That's exactly what I would love to eat right now, strawberries!"

The problem was, I was on my way to a retirement celebration of a church member.  I was being held up by an elementary school bus.  At each stop, it took a while for the five or seven children to get off the bus.  To stop at the strawberry stand would put me back another five to ten minutes.

BUT I WANTED THOSE STRAWBERRIES SO BADLY!!!!

No, no.  There will be other days for strawberries.  Just keep driving the car.  Being ten minutes late is bad enough.

So I arrive late to the retirement celebration.  The program had already started.  I scan the room to see who is at the event.  And then I notice two long tables with all of my favorites: cheese and crackers, vegetables and dip, and cake with lots of icing.  "That will be good to eat after the program."  But then my eyes saw something that reminded me why our God is an awesome God.  In the middle of the table was a huge bowl of luscious strawberries sliced and ready to be served.  Those strawberries were calling out my name as I continued to listen to the program. 

After the final speech, I made my way to the table, and dished up a healthy serving of strawberries.  My tongue vibrated with goodness as I tasted each strawberry with great delight.  I said a brief prayer of thanksgiving to the God who created this marvelous taste of summer.

With my taste buds happily satisfied, I was ready to leave the party to go home when I suddenly realized - I still hadn't congratulated the person who was retiring!  "Congratulations!  What a wonderful thing to have all of your friends here with you to celebrate your special day.  What a testimony to your many years of faithfulness.  And by the way, thanks for the strawberries."

God is good!
.

No comments: