A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Churches Sharing in Ministry Together



This week reminds me of the value of churches sharing in ministry for the sake of God's kingdom.  This morning, I'll be meeting with pastors of six other United Methodist churches in the surrounding area for our monthly small group.

We will spend time praying for each other, sharing our personal and church ministry goals, reading scripture, planning future shared ministry events, and celebrating Holy Communion.  By meeting together, we are seeking to strengthen each other in being faithful followers of Jesus Christ. 

Tonight, I will be presiding for the annual church conference of one of those churches.  In our United Methodist system, the District Superintendent assigns an Elder to preside at this meeting which prepares the congregation for a new year of ministry.  The assigning of another pastor is a powerful reminder that there are no lone ranger churches.  We are connected to one another. 

Tomorrow, I will be joining folks from a non-denominational church to visit and learn from a church that is involved in very innovative ministries in reaching people for Christ.  We will be learning together.  This is another example of the advantage of churches remembering that we are connected through Jesus Christ.

Yes, there are theological differences between churches, but we also seek to live out Jesus' prayer, "I ask not only on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one.  As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me." - John 17:20-21
.

No comments: