A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sermon (November 6) - What's In a Name?


     There’s a tradition whenever a baby is brought for baptism for the minister to ask the parents the question, “What name is given this child?”  Now, of course the pastor already knows the name of this baby, but there’s an important reason why this question is asked.
     And if you’ve ever noticed, the parents don’t typically use the last name of their little one.  Instead they use just the first and middle names.  And the theological reason for this is that through baptism, God is claiming that child and giving that child the name, “Christian.” 
     So as a follower of Jesus, my new name is Christian.  Whenever I meet with parents in preparation for a baptism, I mention this little tradition of the last name being Christian.  And I go on to explain that our prayer is for their child to be raised in the Christian faith and that one day their child will accept for herself or himself the name that was given at their baptism.
     This is why we offer a confirmation class for seventh graders.  It’s an opportunity for our young people to embrace their name as Christian.  And at some point after their confirmation process, they stand up here and verbally profess their faith in Christ.  For those who have already been baptized, they are saying “yes” to the name that was already given to them.  They are claiming their name and their identity as a follower of Jesus Christ.
     And for those of us who have already been baptized and have claimed our new name as Christian, every time we celebrate a baptism, it’s another opportunity to remember our name and renew our identity of who we are in Jesus Christ.
     Remembering our name is so important because it’s easy to lose our way in life and forget who we are.  Maybe this is why whenever I would get into trouble, my mom would use my formal name and say, “Robert Vincent, you get over here right now!”  It was never a good thing when mom or dad would use my middle name.  It usually meant that I would have to sit on the special time-out chair.  Did you have a time-out chair in your house?  Using my formal name was a way for my mom and dad to remind me that they were speaking to me even though I was the only “Robert” in the house. 
     During my senior year of High School, I was sitting in the 2nd row of desks in a classroom with my football teammates because our coach had called for a special meeting.  It was a Monday afternoon and we had just come off one of our few football victories of the season.  And we all thought the coach was going to say how proud he was of us.
     He paced back and forth in front of the classroom carefully thinking about the words he would soon share with us.  “I have called you here because I am very disappointed in the behavior of someone in this room following our win on Saturday.  Sometime on Saturday evening, one of you took your car and did doughnuts on our practice field and tore it all up.  It’s now a muddy mess out there.  You have let our team down and you have forgotten that we as a team represent our school.  If we need to, we’re going to sit here all afternoon until that person speaks up.”
     Nobody said a word.  We all just sat there – frozen and speechless. 
     And then, the coach said something that I will never forget.  He looked intently in my direction as if I was the only person in that room, and he said, “Bob – do you have something that you want to share with the rest of us?”
     My face turned beat red and instant perspiration came to my forehead.  The coach just kept staring at me.  And finally, with my voice shaking I said, “Coach, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
     Coach Hershey said, “I’m not looking at you McDowell.  I’m looking at this Bob, Bob Burgee who’s sitting in front of you!”  
     I’ll never forget how extremely relieved I was in that moment, that my name was Robert McDowell and not Bob Burgee!  And now you know why I go by the name of Robert instead of Bob!
     Do you know what your name is?  Remembering who we are and to whom we belong is something that the church helps us to not forget.
     Our scripture reading from the letter of I John calls us “children of God.”  The writer of this letter says, “See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and that is what we are.”
     I like that name.  Children.  Children implies that we aren’t done growing.  We haven’t arrived yet.  There’s still more to discover and to experience in the Christian life.  I remember when I was just starting out in the ministry and I thought to myself, “By the time I’m fifty, I should really have my act together.”  Boy, was I overly optimistic!
     I’m amazed at how I can read a familiar passage of scripture and still find something new or different that I had never seen before.  But that’s a good thing.  I hope that we never get to a point in our faith journey where we feel that we have experienced it all.  Following Jesus is a life-long process of growth and maturity.
     The writer of I John also points to a future hope that we have as “children of God.”  Not only do we get to share in God’s love and grow in our faith in the present, but we also can look forward to that time in the future when we will see Jesus.  It will be then that we will be like him.  
     Children often think about what they want to be when they grow up.  Maybe a doctor or an astronaut or a baseball player.  Well, those who are children of God want to be like Jesus when they grow up.  I John says,“What we do know is this; when he is revealed, we will be like him, for we will see him as he is.”
     Who do you want to be when you grow up?   By remembering that we are children of God, we can spend each day becoming more and more like Jesus.  We can become more loving, more compassionate, more giving, more serving, more forgiving, and more hope-filled.
     Today is All Saints’ Sunday when we light a candle for each person in our church who has died since this time last year and are now with all the saints in heaven.  One of those names is Brayden Tackett, a seven year old who had terminal cancer and died this past May. 
     I had the privilege of getting to know Brayden and baptizing him in his home last winter. During one of my visits with Brayden, he thanked me for coming to his house and for how our church had been reaching out to him.  And I was really impressed that even though he wasn’t feeling well, he was still able to say these nice things.
     And I remember saying to him, “Brayden, why are you so nice?”  And without even pausing, Brayden responded as if I should have known the answer, “Because God made me this way.”
     But it’s what he said next that I will never forget and what I want to share with you today.  He then said to me, “And God made you that way too.”  Wow!  How about that spiritual maturity for a seven year old!  Brayden knew that he was a child of God.  And he reminded me of who I was as well.
     All Saints’ Sunday reminds us that there’s another name that the people of God have.  A follower of Christ is given the name, “Christian,” “child of God,” and yes, even the name “saint.”  We tend to shy away from the name, “saint,” since we often use it sparingly to speak of a small percentage of people who have lived exemplary lives, like Mother Teresa.
     But this is another important name.  Many of the New Testament letters begin with a greeting to the saints, meaning not just the leaders of that church but everyone who is in the church.  I know of a preacher who begins every worship service by greeting the congregation with the words, “Good morning saints!” 
     I don’t always feel like a saint, do you?  I feel so unworthy of that name; “saint.”  But that’s who we are in Jesus Christ.  To help us claim this name, it might be helpful to know that it’s because of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, that God gives us this name.  It’s because of what Christ has done for us by dying on the cross and rising to new life that God has claimed us and has given us a new name.
     Several years ago, I was pulling out from a parking space in the city of Dayton when I noticed an interesting vanity license plate on the back of a car which had just pulled into a space in front of me.
     The license plate had the message, “In 3 Days.”  It seemed obvious to me that it was referring to the three days of Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday.  As I started to drive away, I noticed a man getting out of this car.  I pulled up beside him, put my window down, and said, “I read your license plate.  Are you a Christian?”  With a great big smile on his face, he nodded his head, and yelled back to me, “You won’t believe how my life changed because of those 3 days.”
     Because of Jesus, that man has claimed his name.  That man knows who he is.
     That man is a saint.
.

No comments: