A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Thank You from The McDowell Family



[Mom and my family surprising me in 2003 at my 40th birthday party at Xenia: First United Methodist, Xenia, OH. I love this picture.]

Dear Friends,

    The McDowell family thank you for all of your cards, kind words of sympathy and prayers at the death of my mother on June 9.  It meant so much to us to know that we weren’t alone during that very difficult time.

     All four of her children were able to be by her side the week she passed away in Stewartstown, PA overlooking her family farm.  At one point, we gathered around mom to each thank her for being a great mom and to offer our good-byes to her.

     When it was my turn, I told mom that she was the reason I was a pastor.  When I was in High School, mom encouraged me to serve with her on a visitation ministry in the church.  Together, we visited shut-in members in their homes.  We would have some conversation, read scripture, and pray with the person we were visiting.  Eventually, mom encouraged me to make these visits on my own which I enjoyed doing.

     Thanks to that visitation ministry, mom taught me how important ministry is in the church.  She planted a seed that led me to accept God’s calling to pursue ordained ministry.

    As I reflect on this memory, I am reminded of what a privilege it is to serve in ministry together.  When we reach out to others in the name of Christ, God's blessings are multiplied and lives are changed, including mine.

No comments: