A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pastor's Letter - June Church Newsletter (Lancaster First UMC)


Following a recent Sunday morning worship service, a young child came up to me and asked, Pastor Robert, are God and Jesus the same? My first thought was to tell her to go see Pastor Cheryl and ask her.
After taking a breath and thinking about her question, this is what I told her. We believe that God and Jesus are the same but we also believe that they are not the same. I then asked her if my answer made any sense. She nodded in approval, smiled, and then gave me a hug. I’m sure that down the road she will want a more thorough response to her question. In that moment, that’s really all she needed to know.
This little girl reminded me that we all have important questions about our faith. I am so glad that she was willing to ask her question. Questions can lead to a deeper faith.
What questions do you have about our faith? I want our church to be a place where we can ask questions and grow in our faith together.

No comments: