A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Monday, August 17, 2015

Who's Behind the Steering Wheel?


This past Sunday, I shared about an elderly saint in my previous church who taught me something very important about being led by the Holy Spirit. 

She told me that after her husband had died, her life totally changed for her. They had a wonderful marriage and they had done everything together. 

"Well, Lord, it’s just you and me now. I know you are with me. Guide and direct me in all that I do."

Whenever they drove somewhere, he was always the one behind the steering wheel driving them places. Now, she was the one behind that steering wheel. She said, "Every time that I got behind the steering wheel, I said a little prayer to God. "Well, Lord, it’s just you and me now. I know you are with me. Guide and direct me in all that I do."

This elderly saint has given me a wonderful image for what it means to live a spirit-filled life! Sometimes, we think that we are the only ones behind that steering wheel, but God is right there with us!

Someone once said that being filled with the Spirit is simply "practicing the presence of God" in our day to day living. I like that! Yes, we are behind the steering wheel, deciding where to go, what to do, how to go about our day, but God is present with us as well.

For those of us who drive, this might be the best way for us to remember to live a spirit led life. Whenever you get behind that steering wheel, remember the words of this elderly saint:

"Well, Lord, it's just you and me now. I know you are with me. Guide and direct me in all that I do." What a great way to remember that God is always with us through the presence of the Holy Spirit!

Remember that it's not just you behind that steering wheel. Practice the presence of God and live a spirit-filled life.

No comments: