A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Sunday, August 24, 2008

Bill Maher's Comments on the Bible

OK. I have been listening to Bill Maher, the comedian/news analyst on Larry King Live tonight. The interview prompts me to make a few comments regarding a comment Bill Maher made about the bible. I've heard him share this same opinion on another interview as well.

Basically, his argument goes like this: Why would an eternal God decide to have people from the bronze age write down eternal truths that reflect the social morals of that particular time period in history?

First of all, Bill Maher's comments are very patronizing toward the ancients which is a common assumption I hear many agnostists/atheists mention time and time again. The implication is that since the ancients were so below us, we are the superior ones, since we live in the post-modern age. I beg to differ that our post-modern world gives us reason to boast. Didn't the enlightenment bring us Hiroshima and the Holocaust? And this is the time period that Bill Maher believes the bible should have been written?

Second of all, I don't think Bill Maher understands the meaning of biblical authority. The bible isn't primarily a book about timeless truths as if it is a dictionary or encyclopedia to answer our questions. Like it or not, the bible is an amazingly coherent grand narrative which is rooted in different periods of ancient history. The bible is authoritative when we seek to understand the historical and religious context in which it was written and open ourselves to how God is speaking to us in our present context based on these ancient texts.

Of course, when we look at the interpretation of scripture from this perspective, that means we need to faithfully study the historical time period of when it was written, see how it fits in with the grand narrative, and prayerfully seek how this ancient writing speaks to us today.

I'm not sure if Bill Maher has simply chosen to not go to all that effort or if he's just really that closed minded about religion in general.

Having said all of this, I do think he makes some good points and is a great comedian.

Your thoughts?

6 comments:

Than said...

Maher is an entertainer. I really hope he doesn't believe most of what he says. All he has to offer in debates and interviews is telling the tired audience of President Bush's mishaps.

That being said, the subject matter is a very interesting one. I, for one, have inquired upon this topic many times. On one hand, the bible shouldn't be taken literally and you must be careful upon interpretation. If I were to take it literally and took it as absolute truth, I would have executed myself long ago for working on the day of the sabbath.

But if I did that, I would be taking a life away, which happens to be one of ten things God hates. These contradictions undermine God's power. The bible isn't as excellent a piece of writing as I once thought and would like to think.

But as for Maher, he was just making frivolous comments to try to get ratings.

Easy Tweak said...

Gee, Maher is no more patronizing than my congregation. I continually fail miserably at bringing the text into a modern context--folks tend to say "well, that's nice but that was then and things are more complex today..." Maybe it's just me, but weren't we all raised to beleive that we could conquer any problem and the future was just going to get better and better? "Well how's that workin' out for ya?"

Interestingly in our enlightened world social experiments that put biblical precepts on trial tend not to have too long a shelf life. Maher, like much of our culture is simply being short sighted here for those same social morals tend to undergird societal stability, and like many, does not seem to grasp the sweep and scope of the biblical narrative.
Ultimately, your post seems to more about how the bible is portrayed in our media/ entertainment culture than maher per se. It begs the question, how do you teach an inclusive, life giving view of scripture in the face of cultural devaluing of it? Certainly on the force of my own resources /credibility /authority I come up lacking. This might speak to Nathaniel's comment about contradiction: How does the world become knowledgable about the sweep and thrust of the biblical record without getting tangled up in the trees? I like to think of it as a love story: God's love story for us as it has been experienced through the ages. And so questions of the sabbath rule (for example) are always a question of intent more than a question of legality. Than, don't execute yourself.
Peace bros.

Scott Endress said...

I liked your post. I think Bill Maher is pretty interesting, if only to help us laugh at ourselves. I see his criticism as more of a caution for us to become more aware of how outsiders see us. Beyond that, his words always could be used to talk with atheists and agnostics. I agree he, along with many others on both sides, is very simplistic for the purpose of effect.

Robert McDowell said...

Scott - thanks for stopping by the blog and for your post. Say "hi" to Tim Roth for me. Many blessings to you and thanks again for stopping by.

Steve Alex said...

I read this blog and thought about how "taboo" it can be by some to even have a Bible in plain sight. For example, a "former" associate of mine saw mine sitting on the coffee table and said, "you don't read that do you?" What's the problem with reading The Bible!?!? Even if one is a non-believer, there is plenty of instruction and guidance in The Book to give solutions and help just like any do-it-yourself book. For me, I find The Bible gives me continued strength when I need it. I have enjoyed reading The Bible because it contains timeless wisdom at a time when we so desperately need it.

Robert McDowell said...

Steve & Other Posters - Thanks for your thoughts on this topic. I just got done leading my Thursday morning bible study on the book, "The Blue Parakeet: How to Study the Bible" which offered some helpful ways of sorting out the historical context of the scriptures and the implications for modern day application. I would think that a book like this might help folks like Bill Maher see the bible in a a more helpful way.