A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Friday, August 8, 2008

Prayers, Prayers, & More Prayers


This evening, as I was silently standing in the corner of a hospital room filled with several friends and family members of a very ill parishioner, an incredible thought came to my mind.

In the silence of that room, I couldn't help but to become consciously aware of the many "little prayers" that were being lifted on behalf of their loved one in that precise moment. All of the sudden, it occurred to me that God wasn't just hearing my prayer. God was hearing many prayers.

Could it be that as we're going through our daily routine, the same is true? In any given moment, my prayer just might not be the only prayer being lifted in that moment and in that particular place.

And here's what really blows me away. Just think of what Sunday morning in church must be like! Just being aware of the many prayers being lifted in a given moment might make me a better preacher and it might also make a huge difference in how we offer our worship.

No comments: