A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Saturday, January 29, 2011

Just because there's pink sand doesn't mean you can't pray!


Our church is sponsoring a ten member mission team through the United Methodist Volunteers in Mission (VIM) to help improve the living conditions of the people in Eleuthera, Bahamas. This is the second year in a row our church has sent a mission team to this beautiful area of the world.

A friend of mine jokingly said, "It's going to be hard to pray for this mission team since they will be in the Bahamas during the cold of winter." And I responded, "Just because there's pink sand where the mission work is being held doesn't mean you can't pray for us."

When I was on the plane heading for a mission trip in 2009, I sat next to a teenager who was part of a different group going to serve in Guatemala as well. I asked her if this was her first mission trip and she said, "Oh no. I go every year." When I asked her where she went last year she said, "To the Bahamas for a mission trip." I couldn't help but laugh because that pink sand/blue water image immediately came to mind. And she said, "There is so much poverty on that island and we were able to help a lot of people."

The mission team to the Bahamas will be working with the Bahamas Methodist Habitat just as they did last year. So let's pray for the Bahamas mission team, pink sand and all.
.

1 comment:

$teve said...

I will be praying for you and the mission team as you go to the Bahamas. (Pink sand and all!) Having visited the Bahamas myself a year ago, I can attest to the poverty level in that country and the help that they so badly need. Blessings upon you as you go. I will be very interested in reading your future blogs about this trip. I am jealous that I am not going to help improve the living conditions of these poor people who live in such a beautiful area of the world. Of course, I am sure that you will enjoy the pink sand also.