A United Methodist Pastor's Theological Reflections

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory (nikos) through our Lord Jesus Christ." - I Corinthians 15:57


Monday, January 23, 2012

This Happy Valley


Just after Coach Paterno passed away in the hospital, the family issued this statement: "His loss leaves a void in our lives that will never be filled. He died as he lived.  He fought hard until the end, stayed positive, thought only of others and constantly reminded everyone of how blessed his life had been. His ambitions were far reaching, but he never believed he had to leave this Happy Valley to achieve them."

In the church, we call life after death, "heaven" but I think "happy valley" describes it even better.  State College, located in the scenic mountains of central Pennsylvania is aptly named.  I can see why Coach Paterno chose to stay there for his entire coaching career, even turning up tons of money to coach in the NFL.  It is a beautiful place.

I'm thankful that I was able to make a trip to Happy Valley this past fall to watch the Iowa game.  Sitting in the upper deck, the view of the sunset near the end of the game was breathtaking.  Penn State was wrapping up another win, it was a gorgeous day to watch a college football game, and all was right in my world in that moment.

It was always a thrill for me to watch Paterno on the sideline.  My favorite memory was back in 1998 when I was able to be in Happy Valley for JoPa's 300th career win.  Besides it being near 100 degrees with high humidity that day, my best memory was to hear Coach Paterno thank the crowd for their love and support and then he yelled as loud as he could into the stadium microphone, "Now let's beat Pitt!"

After that game, I watched Coach Paterno leave the stadium in an old beat up pick up truck.  It was a thrill to watch him drive right pass me as he looked out the window.  It was a very happy day.

Because of the child abuse scandal and Coach Paterno's recent death, it doesn't feel like Happy Valley right now.  But I thank God for a faith that points me to another Happy Valley, a place where there will no longer be any pain, suffering, sin, or death.  We get glimpses of that valley in the here and now.  All we need to do is have open eyes, hearts, and minds to see it.

For now, during this time of grief and sadness, this picture of the sun setting over the beautiful mountains this past Fall gives me all the comfort I need.

God is still present in this Happy Valley, thankfully.
.

No comments: